It’s never too late…

There’s a constant pressure within society to follow the norms; first school, then college, university and then hopefully find the dream job. Unfortunately it doesn’t always work like that. However, we all have the chance to make our own path. I’ve just turned the beautiful age of 26, a sentence which is very scary to write. I’m that much closer to 30 with a desperate urge to hold onto my 20’s. Anyone else know the feeling? I wish I could stay young forever!

For my first blog I wanted to talk about the big decision I made this year, paving the first stones of my very own life path. I decided to FINALLY follow my dream and study BA (Hons) Early Years Education with QTS. There was no other university than Edge Hill, one of, if not the best establishments for teaching in the UK. 

Working within retail management for 5 years, I have been very fortunate to learn so much about myself and how I fit into the business world. I have loved working with people and built a lot of confidence professionally. However, there was always something missing. The dream of being a teacher was always at the forefront of my mind. I really felt I was destined to make a difference in someone’s life, especially in the very beginning of his or hers.

I strongly believe there aren’t enough male teachers in this world. In fact, in 2017, only 15% of Local Authority primary school teachers were male (Department of Education, 2018). That’s not enough. It’s increasingly important for younger children to be exposed to men in caring and nurturing roles. How amazing for a young boy to see a strong male role model belting out Humpty Dumpty?! If, by becoming a teacher, I can help to break the norm whilst enriching the lives of others… I’m Game!

In all honesty, I was petrified to restart my life again. Going back into education at the age of 26 scared me. I applied through clearing and within two weeks I was sat in my first lecture, and to this day I couldn’t be happier. The campus is absolutely stunning and the facilities are first rate, and constantly evolving and improving. Meeting new people also scared me. I was quite comfortable with the people I had in my life and thought there was no need for anymore.  I’ve never been more blind! I’ve met some amazing people in this short time who have enriched my life in ways I never imagined possible!

I think the main thing I want to say is; it’s never too late. Don’t be scared or put off by changing your life for the better. I had to keep telling myself that going to university for the second time wasn’t a set back, but a LEAP forward into bettering my future.

If you are wondering whether university or Edge Hill is for you? The answer simply must be yes! Here’s a little video of the beautiful campus to show you exactly why Edge Hill is for you!

Thanks for reading!

Rowan