Home and Away!

Hey everyone!

For my first blog, I thought I would tell you about my journey from moving away from my home and into Edge Hill University as a first year student! I really hope you enjoy the read and feel free to contact me at any time for questions you have about me, my course or even my experience moving out!

Around two months ago, I packed up my life into a few (too many) boxes, packed the car until we had just enough room to fit three people and sailed across the sea to Liverpool to start my first year at Edge Hill University.

To say that I was nervous was the biggest understatement of the year! There were times on the boat when I thought, “what am I doing?” It wasn’t until I arrived in Liverpool and drove to the small, scenic town of Ormskirk where my university life would start, that I remembered why exactly I chose to leave everything I knew in Ireland and start my life across the waters!

All the reasons why I chose to leave home and move away came flooding back to me. For example, the campus of Edge Hill is so beautiful and still to this day, it never ceases to amaze me! Everything that I would need was all on the one campus and only a few minutes from the town centre. Could you ask for anything better?

I also remembered how extremely friendly and welcoming the staff were on my last visit back in January! I’m not just saying this, but the staff here do so much for their students, from showing you where to go when you get lost (which happens to me on many occasions), to ensuring that you have everything you need in order to start your course right!

Getting settled into my university was something I thought would be the hardest part of this journey, but I soon realised that I chose the best university in terms of making me feel comfortable. Welcome week was full of activities and social events to introduce me to as many people as possible, which at first, I found daunting but quickly forgot those feelings as I met my course mates and some good friends.

To be completely honest, I forgot about all my fears and doubts about not settling in because, before I knew it, I was a month into my course and living with complete ‘strangers’ who quickly became my favourite people.

Sure, Face-Timing my family wasn’t the same as seeing them in person, but it made visiting home so much more special and telling them about my experience so far as a first-year student in Edge Hill University is always a subject of great interest at the dinner table.

And that, my friends, was my short journey from home to away! I am so glad that I made the move and made the right decision in terms of university and I hope that you too, come to Edge Hill to experience all that there is to see and do.

At the end of every blog, I aim to sign off with a quote because, who doesn’t like an inspiring quote to make you feel unstoppable? Or maybe just to set as your Instagram bio.

The journey of a thousand miles, begins with a single step”

See ya next time!

Lauren Fitzsimons.