Setting up your Console in Halls – Gaming at Edge Hill University [Part 1]

Connecting your console at EHU

Connecting your console at Edge Hill can seem complicated. The number one question that I hear is how to make X work with the network. So this blog hopefully will clear some information up on getting your Xbox, Wii, or PlayStation connected to the network. Before I continue I have to include this disclaimer:

I do not work for IT Services. If you break or use their network in any way that is against the terms and conditions they will be mad. Keep it fair and fast for all.

What halls can connect?

At the moment, not all halls across campus have access to the Ethernet network. This applies to older halls. For example Back, Main and Forest, you’re out of luck for a wired connection, we’ll discuss wireless options later.

Halls that are currently supported:

• Chancellors Court
  • Founders Court
  • Graduates Court
  • Palatine Court
  • Woodland Court

You will also need an Ethernet cable the cheapest one will suffice, check these out.

Information you need before applying

It’s important to gather all the information you need before you submit your application, there are two pieces that are essential to apply to register your games console on campus: the MAC and the port number.

The port number can be found on the Ethernet ports in your room. Like this:

As for your mac address this is where it gets complex. Luckily the great people over at IT services have a guide for the most common systems, you can check it out here!

The final steps

Once you have your information and you are ready to apply you can follow the form here: https://servicedesk.edgehill.ac.uk/wssp/DetailWebFormNew.aspx?Webform=RegisterWiredConsole

Once submitted you should get an email about a new case being opened. They aim to register the console within 10 days but it is usually a lot sooner.

Once registered you can plug your console and start to play! Some ports may be locked down but in my experience it isn’t many. For technical minds the blocked ports I found were 25 (SMTP) and most of the Microsoft Remote Desktop ports.

A few more tips for wired connections:

• Your bandwidth gets limited to 100mb/s, you wont notice it
  • You are on a different network from the regular network, things like Microsoft glass might not like this.
  • Don’t register your Computer as a Console. IT will be unhappy.
  • The console registration lasts for a year, that means you will need to do it again if you move back on campus.

That’s all I have for you on this blog but please stay tuned.

Part two will cover connecting consoles to WiFi and Gaming on a PC.

And if you want more free and great information email think@edgehill.ac.uk or leave a comment below and I will get back to you. If you want to suggest something to write about or want to be interviewed leave a comment below also and I will get back to you personally!

2 Replies to “Setting up your Console in Halls – Gaming at Edge Hill University [Part 1]”

1. Hi, i was curious about gaming on a PC, ive got mine set up using a vpn on the wireless network but online gaming is unreliable at best, have you found a better solution?

1. Het Patrik,

I’ve sent you an email with some more information but unfortunately IT services at Edge Hill do not support gaming on PC at the university. It is something that I have brought up with EHU’s IT services with little to no response.

All the best,
      Sean.