How to prepare for Lectures and Seminars

Hi everyone,

Before I started university, something I was really anxious about was lectures and seminars and how to get the most out of them. For me this was quite daunting as I wasn’t sure how they would run or how the tutors would approach lessons and what they expect from you. So here are a few tips on how to get the most out of your lectures and seminars.

1. Check Blackboard/ emails

Blackboard is a great way for tutors to get in touch with students to let them know about lessons, such as when and where they are as well as any updates on your modules to keep you informed at all times. On blackboard there will be your module handbook which should list what you will be doing every week as well as when assignments are due in. These will also include contact details of your module leader should you need to get in touch with them.

2. Check your reading lists!

As an English student I have quite a lot of reading to do for my course and it’s usually about one a week per module so that is a lot of reading! So try andmake sure you know what books need to have been read for that week so that you are fully prepared  as you might struggle in seminars if you don’t!

3. Make sure there isn’t any “homework”.

Tutors don’t typically give any homework at Uni, but one of my tutors gave us small weekly tasks to do every week in preparation for the seminars such as writing a few sentences about one of the characters from the book we’re studying, or researching the author. Doing these tasks are really beneficial as they will allow you to engage more in seminars!

Hope these tips were helpful

Ellie 🙂