Driving to Edge Hill University – 400 miles in 8 hours [Part 4]

Its time for the final part of this 4 part blog. In this final part I will sum up the journey and answer 3 of the most asked questions I received about the drive itself. I hope these blogs have been genuine help to those of you who are thinking about making the drive to university from afar.

Is it worth it?

Yes, and no. Driving back to collect my things was more for the fun of it rather than anything else. I really enjoy driving so I knew I wanted to make this long drive. But the truth of the fact is I could have posted my stuff back home for a fraction of the cost.

At the same time, living in Ormskirk next year, I am considering keeping my car there permanently. It makes live easy to get shopping and whatnot and gives a real sense of freedom.

How much does it cost

TL;DR – £350

It really depends on the type of car that you drive and how you drive it. First thing first, fuel. It cost me £80 in fuel overall and when I got home I had a little to spare. That was in my 1.4L Citroen C3. Roughly it runs 100 miles to £10.  Alongside that the ferry cost around £225. That was for both of us back and forth.

You need to factor in food and other costs, but you can make it on about £350 or so.

What if something happens

It can be troubling to think that you car could break down or something could happen but its important to think positive. Make sure you plan for the worst possible outcome in any scenario. That could be breaking down, or running out of fuel. Remember that if you do end up breaking down on the motorway its not the end of the world. Check the basics before you start and as you drive.

If the worst happens keep a recovery companies number handy. It is also worth paying for a flexi ticket on the ferry so you can travel whenever you want.

You can read PART 3 here:

Driving to Edge Hill University – 400 miles in 8 hours [Part 3]

That its everything for the last part of this blog. Please leave any questions you have for me below. You will get a personal response, fast.

And if you want more free and great information on any topic email think@edgehill.ac.uk or leave a comment below and I will get back to you. If you want to suggest something to write about or want to be interviewed leave a comment below also and I will get back to you personally!