That interview question… where do you want to be in 5 years time?

Many of us have been in an interview where we are asked ‘where do you want to be in three or five or even ten years time?’ and so often it catches us off guard. Deciding to study at Edge Hill was part of my goal for where I see myself in five years time.

However, this is much more than an interview question. By asking yourself this question throughout your degree or as make your degree choices you can make sure that you stay on track. It helps you to focus on what is important to you and enables you to chase after the opportunities that surround you.

I knew from walking around at my first Open Day that Edge Hill could help to get me to where I wanted to be. There are many opportunities to study different languages, people from across the country and many international students too and the educational opportunities available are fantastic.

Here are three quick questions to ask yourself about your university experience if you are considering your degree choices:

1. What would you like to get from your university experience? What clubs and societies would suit your needs or personality and are these available? If a particular society isn’t available at Edge Hill you can get together with a group of people with the same interest and set up a new society!
  2. What extra skills do you have that you could write about on your application form or talk about at an interview? What skills could you bring to the university/job/volunteer opportunity? These don’t have to be academic skills, it could be anything you enjoy. This is a fantastic question to ask yourself whatever the interview or application is for and applies to more than just university applications.
  3. What memories would you like to create over the next few years? What is important to you? Is it being close to your family or being able to explore a new area? These questions can help you to decide on a location and also help you to think about what it is you’re looking for around campus if you attend an open day.

What questions do you think you should consider before starting uni or throughout your degree? Please share in the comments, would love to hear your ideas 🙂