3 Tips for moving to Edge Hill University – Getting ready for Welcome Sunday

Almost a year after moving into my halls room in Chancellor’s Court there is three big things that I want to put out there to hopefully help you reading this blog. It can be daunting thinking about moving into a new place, all by yourself, but honestly the sense of freedom you get from waking up at 4 am and making a pizza just because you can is the warm fuzzy feeling that you got the first time you stayed out later than the street lights.

So lets talk about halls and the three biggest tips for moving in.

1. Pack light

There is absolutely no point in taking the kitchen sink with you to University. Don’t fill 50 suitcases and rent a lorry to take you up the M6 just so you can unload it all and then never use any of it again. Take what you need, and remember that the day to day items like toothpaste, toilet paper, cleaning items and food can all be bought on campus in McColls, or the SU Shop and if not there then in Town with the free EL1 bus between campus and the Uni.

2. Make your room your own

Moving from your room into a whole new place can make the place feel blank and empty. Take plenty of pictures and make sure you get some of your new flat mates. You like posters? Put up posters. You wanna put a rug down, why not? Some of the rooms have a corkboard too so its worth investing in a few pins to get everything stuck up above your desk. Cool bedding isnt a bad idea either, I mean I sleep in a racecar why don’t you?

3. Go and meet your flatmates

When I arrived after a something-far-too-long flight from Ireland I was exhausted. I wandered into the flat and threw my stuff into my room, ready to sleep. I have a unicard photo to prove it and everything. Even thought I wanted to I decided to go into the kitchen and chill with my flatmates. Great choice in my opinion. Meeting them for the first time and not just on a Facebook chat.

That’s all I have for you on moving into your new halls but if you want to find out more about what to expect in halls you can check out this blog here. And please leave any questions you have for moving in below. You will get a personal response, fast.

And if you want more free and great information email think@edgehill.ac.uk or leave a comment below and I will get back to you. If you want to suggest something to write about or want to be interviewed leave a comment below also and I will get back to you personally!