Lesson Planning

Hello everyone! I hope you’ve had a lovely weekend and you are feeling refreshed for the week ahead! My two weeks of placement so far has gone super fast, I can’t quite believe it! Since I should be planning my lessons right now… I thought I would procrastinate and tell you how I plan them! (hopefully this might help you teachers out there!).

1. Understand children’s prior knowledge

I find that the most important thing is to find out what the children know, and what they want to find out. Questioning children at the beginning of the lesson is really helpful to get an idea of the extent of their understanding. Whether it’s more or less than expected, it makes it easier to adapt the lesson content when you teach it. Prior to the lesson, looking at previous lesson plans and written work / evidence of learning will allow you to be more specific in your planning.

1. Use your feedback

Being a trainee teacher involves learning from mistakes and knowing what is effective to a child’s learning. By thinking about your feedback to your previous teaching, it will allow you to personally evaluate your teaching methods and approaches to improve for next time.

1. Adapt to different needs

Always have a plan B. Consider the differentiated abilities within the classroom and plan for different learning styles – visual, auditory, kinaesthetic. Make sure you have extension tasks to challenge pupils in addition to considering the help from teaching assistants, children with special educational needs, and children with English as an additional language.

1. Be Creative

Ensure you use varied teaching approaches with a variety of resources. Children can only concentrate on one thing for a certain amount of time – as for any adult! Engaging them with creative tasks will encourage the use of their imaginations and active learning.

1. Have a read over the teachers’ standards

Familiarise yourself with the Teachers’ Standards to ensure every standard has been/will be met.

I hope these few ideas are useful to you, drop me a comment if you have any questions! Thanks for reading, have a good Monday!

Anna 🙂

2 Replies to “Lesson Planning”

1. Hi Anna,
    Thanks for writing this blog.
    As a fellow student at EHU I would like to share some current research surrounding learning styles. Whilst I understand that this theory may have been received as part of your training the evidence now indicates that learning styles are a neuromyth. This is something I discovered during my teacher training at EHU; I’m on the PGCE FET course.
    I’ve attached a link to a recent article but there are other research papers too which you may like to investigate and share with your fellow students and tutors.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/mar/12/no-evidence-to-back-idea-of-learning-styles

I hope this is helpful.
    Good luck with the remainder of your training.

Elaine

1. Hi Elaine,

Thank you for your comment. The article you have attached is a very interesting read, I will be sure to have a look at other research papers too!

Anna