Sean’s Random Encounters – Ormskirk Bus Station and Deadlines

Seans Random Encounters Text

Fresh off my flight from Ireland back to Ormskirk I realized it had been a few weeks since I had made a blog post, let alone a random encounter article. On my way to catch the EL1 after a train journey from Liverpool Central I spotted a line of students. I decided to speak to one and ask them a simple question – ‘What do you know now, that you wish you knew when you started 1st year’. This is what 3rd year student Steven had to say.

Image result for studying edge hill‘Doing your work is important. Don’t leave anything until the last moment ever. As much as it seems like you can write that 500 word essay on the Friday that the task is due, you can’t. I learned the hard way that it’s best to get my stuff done about a week before’ said Steve. And I agree with him. You will never get the grade you want with quick write ups under stress.

Image result for timeWhen you are working against the clock you tend to make mistakes. Remember that when you start university you are still here to gain knowledge. Regardless of when you do the module it will still take roughly the same time so don’t try and cheat by leaving it as long as you can, it only pushes you to cut corners. That’s not good.

Image result for examEven myself as a first year, very much guilty of leaving things to the last moment, I have started to realise that it does not work. I hope that you do take what I have said in this article to heart when you start university in September. And trust me, if you do it will pay off. When everyone else is stressing you won’t be, and that’s important.

Here are some more blogs you might find useful about time management, stress and assessment.

Preparing for continuous assessment at Edge Hill – You won’t have to cram the night before!

Dealing with Stress at University – Stress is like the flu, everyone usually gets it

If you want to find out more about ways to deal with stress, time management and more at Edge Hill, check out the link here!

And if you want more free and great advice email think@edgehill.ac.uk or leave a comment below and I will get back to you. If you want to suggest something to write about or want to be interviewed leave a comment below also and I will get back to you personally!