Places to Visit while at Uni

Although some people attending Edge Hill may be locals, and already know the way around Liverpool and the surrounding areas, there will be some people, who, like me, aren’t local at all and have never visited the area before. If that’s you, or you are local but are looking for inspiration on where to take a day out, then this list is for you.

1- Liverpool

At just a 30 minute train journey from Ormskirk, visiting Liverpool is a must. As someone whose only other big city experience before coming to uni was London, I didn’t really know what I was doing or where I was going when I first visited Liverpool, but I was presently surprised. Liverpool is essentially a smaller, friendlier London- complete with its own share of shops, theatres, and places to eat- not to mention its rich history in music.  And most importantly (for some!), lots of good places to enjoy a night out.

2- Blackpool

In the first flat I was in, I was lucky enough to be sharing with people who were locals, and had access to cars, which meant we got to take a lovely day trip to Blackpool one weekend. We did all the things you’re supposed to do when in a seaside town- we ate fish and chips, went in the biggest arcade we could find, and walked up and down the pier. As Blackpool is a big tourist destination, there are also other things on offer to do, and we decided to take the walk around Madame Tussaurd’s that afternoon, at only £10 each for us students! It was well worth the money and we all had a lot of fun.

3- Manchester’s Hope Mill Theatre

Being on a Performing Arts course, I was naturally exposed to more theatre than most, but one of the venues that really stood out to me was Hope Mill. We visited twice in the year, once to see Pippin, and the other to see Little Women, both fantastic musicals. The theatre itself is always impeccably decorated and the bar is themed to the show that is taking place at that point in time. The bar area does amazing drinks and food, so even if you’re not into theatre, the you can still enjoy some time there.