Exam tips

Hey guys, I hope you’ve all had a lovely Easter and are feeling well rested!

As the Easter holidays come to a close, I’m sure you’ll all be gearing up for your assessments and exams. Some of you might be freaking out, but don’t worry, they’re a lot less dreadful than they seem beforehand! The key to success in the exam period is to make sure you have a good routine for studying, and in between your revision to look after your wellbeing. Below, to help you through this period, I thought I’d list some tips and tricks that help me:

• Plan out your time- it seems like the most basic one that your teachers/parents/websites will tell you works, and some of you might roll your eyes at the idea of a study timetable, but it really does help! It helps you to keep an eye on your progress and get everything you want to do that day done without you having to go back over things and question what you’ve studied and what you haven’t. It also makes sure you leave time for breaks. Speaking of…
  • Take regular breaks- you need to allow yourself time to relax. A lot of people think that if you don’t take breaks and you power on through you’ll get more done, which, by logistics, is true… however, the stuff that you revise without breaking won’t sink in as well as if you were to take breaks as your brain will be stressed and won’t have had time to take in what you do study. Breaks also give you a chance to eat a snack to keep your body fuelled.
  • Snacking and water- make sure you have some snacks to keep yourself from being distracted by hunger, and also drink lots of water whilst studying to make sure you stay hydrated.
  • Make your studying work for you- I’m sure you’ve heard about the different types of learning before; Visual (Spatial), Aural (Auditory-Musical), Verbal (Linguistic) and Physical (Kinesthetic). Some ways of studying work better for some people for others, for example, I’m quite a visual learner, so if I can find any videos or make flowcharts etc. to help me study I benefit from it a lot, but I personally can’t read blocks and blocks of text, so I take a more visual approach to studying. More visual ways to help yourself study include using different colours and keys, pictures and charts, some aural ways to study include listening to learning podcasts or videos, and coming up with rhymes or songs to help you remember things, some verbal ways are to also use rhymes or songs to speak out loud whilst studying, and some kinesthetic ways are to combine studying with an activity or to use flashcards.

These are just a few of the tips that help me, and I hope they help you too. If you have any questions or have your own tips and tricks that you’d like to share with anyone reading this post, then feel free to comment below!