Independence at Edge Hill University – Freedom is more than 4 AM Netflix

Independence At University

Independence at university is something that I know you will be looking forward to in the coming year. Doing what you want when you want is amazing. So being able to have a full tube of Pringles to yourself at five in the morning is well within your grasp but being independent is much further away. Growing up takes guts, and practice. Learning how to live and survive on your very own is a serious of falling flat on your face before you figure out how to ride the bike of life. I can’t help you with that, but I can give you a few tips to help you when you move to Edge Hill in September.

Start small. Lets take it from day 1 when you move in. Get settled and know your way around your room. Start mentally planning how you are going to take care of yourself. Is there anything you need to buy or bring with you? Make a list if it helps. Learn how to do laundry if you don’t already. Start cleaning your room every day. All of these are going to be essential when you live alone. Starting now, today, gives you a jump-start on everyone else around you. And don’t be afraid to mess up.

Your TimeMaking sure your time is managed well is essential to becoming independent. Remember all of those teachers who said “it’s your own time you’re wasting” ? Well they were kinda right. You need to make sure when you tell yourself you are doing something you do it. If your washing day is on Wednesday then do the washing on Wednesday. And again, if you want your Independence, then start today. Using your time well  means you get more done. Getting more done means you don’t rely on others. That makes you independent.

The Cash MoneyThe last piece of advice I can give you is budget. There are many ways you can go about this, and if you find one that works tell me about it please. Money is hard to come by and easier to lose so make sure you spend it well. You need to think about more than the usual costs. Set aside something for the unforeseen circumstance. Starting out this is hard, but getting a part-time job is a great way to help. Make sure you don’t abuse an overdraft. It is not free money no matter what your mate who is 600 pound deep tells you.

These are the three best tips I can give you. It is important that you give it your best every day when you come to university and understand that it gets easier. You might find yourself struggling with money one week and the washing machine the other but we’ve all been there and it gets easier. I can only wish you the best of luck. I’ve linked in a few more blogs below that you might find useful.

Edge Hill Laundrette – Doing your washing is loads of fun

Volunteering and Part-time Jobs

That’s all from me, but if you want to find out more about getting started at Edge Hill you can have a look at their website for information on any aspect of University life here.

And if you want more free and great information email think@edgehill.ac.uk or leave a comment below and I will get back to you. If you want to suggest something to write about or want to be interviewed leave a comment below also and I will get back to you personally!