Fun on a Budget

Hey all, I hope you’re having a good day and your March is going well!

As a University student, it’s always nice to kick back and have some fun in your spare time and have a break from studying and the student life. There are the obvious culprits; going to see a movie, bowling, going for a nice meal out, things like that. But if you do these things quite often, they can become expensive, and on a student’s budget, that can be an issue.

It’s certainly been an issue for me, especially as I am paying more towards accommodation this year than I was last year, so the last couple of months I’ve been trying to find alternative things to do that don’t make my wallet cry! And I’ve found some really awesome things to do!

Pub Quizzes and Games

I’ve recently started going to 3 different game nights at pubs a week. On Tuesdays, Mylo & Co do a variety of games and quizzes, all free of charge! These games include Rock N Roll Bingo, a general knowledge quiz and Deal or No Deal, which has the biggest prize of all; a bar tab (usually about £50)! This is usually followed by karaoke, which is a laugh!

On Thursdays there are two different quizzes. In the Golden Lion there’s a variety of games such as Play Your Cards Right, Bingo and Chicken Chucking, in which you chuck rubber chickens into a bucket in order to win chicken soup. This challenge is free, but you only have to pay £1 to play the others, and the money goes towards the Bingo jackpot! They also end the night with karaoke.

Also on Thursdays, Styles get the same company who do the Mylo & Co night to put on games, also free of charge. I’ve seen the Styles bar tab for winning Deal or No Deal actually go up to £200!

Clubs/Dancing

Styles also have an upstairs area in which you can go and dance free of entry on Fridays and Saturdays, so if you’re a fan of dancing but don’t want to have to pay entry fees, it’s a good way to party on a budget!

If you wanted to go into Liverpool for clubbing, there are places that have reasonably cheap entry or drinks. I used to spend a lot of money on entry or expensive drinks, however, this has recently changed.

I usually start my night in a pub named Poste House, which is just by Moorfields station. As it is a pub, it is free entry, and the drinks are at great prices, so it’s perfect for a quiet drink before you go out!

There are also a lot of nightclubs that do special entry on certain days. An example of this is GBar– also near Moorfields- which has free entry on both Thursdays and Sundays, and even host a special day rave called Fruit Sundae occasionally which is also free entry! There is also Heaven, which has free entry on both Fridays and Saturdays. Krazyhouse, which is closer towards the centre of Liverpool, also hold some events, such as the events for St Patrick’s Day and Easter that are coming up, which have free entry and cheap drinks! So you can go clubbing on a budget, just make sure you keep some money aside for trains or taxis!

Local Events in Ormskirk

Ormskirk has a lovely park called Coronation Park which sometimes does family fun fair type events. They do this at Halloween, and have a horror walk through the trees at the back, and also do this during the Summer and other holidays. It’s always fun to just decide to go to these with a few friends, go on a couple of the rides and get some candy floss, and it’s also not too expensive!

So those are just a few ways you can enjoy your free time on a budget! If you have any questions about anything in particular just drop them in the comments below!