Fastrack: My experience (part 2 – the course)

I’d bought a new back pack and filled it with stationery, pads of paper and files…I was ready to go back into education!

The first day of Fastrack I have to admit to being slightly nervous, walking onto campus not knowing anyone was quite daunting. Everyone was to meet in one of the lecture halls, as you get there you start to see familiar faces that you were maybe interviewed with when applying for the course. The nerves soon disappeared as you realise most other people are in the same boat as yourself and the mood is quite jovial.

While in the lecture hall you are introduced to the Fastrack team, given talks from previous Fastrack students and assigned your tutors. You are also given your timetable for the course. You will have work to do in you tutor groups (DASS – developing academic study skills), as-well as having seminars on your chosen subject with other DASS groups.

You learn so much during the course and after being out of education for so long I found everything to be a great help in preparation for starting my degree in September. The best thing to take out of Fastrack though is the friendships created. You form a close bond with the fellow students on the course, as the SU bar will probably confirm! This is also of great help when you start in September as you don’t have that nervous feeling you had a few months before because you’re looking forward to getting to see your new friends again.

For me personally, knowing other students, lecturers and staff around the University when starting my degree in September felt like it gave me an advantage over other people already. I can’t quite do justice to how great a decision taking the Edge Hill Fastrack course was for myself, but if you are considering getting back into education at whatever age then seriously consider this option. I still can’t quite believe that this time last year I was sat with only a handful of GCSEs to my name and now I’m currently in my second semester of an actual degree course!