Dealing with Stress at University – Stress is like the flu, everyone usually gets it

Like the title says, stress is pretty much the common cold of psychology. Everyone usually gets it, its how you deal with it that makes the difference. For the past week I have been stressed out and it reminded me of a time when I wasn’t as able to cope with stress as well as I am now.

Therefore I want to share a few tips on how to deal with stress that is affecting you, and hopefully if you ever come to a point in your life where you feel like me you will remember what I am about to say.

1) The divers technique

• Take a long, slow breath in through your nose, first filling your lower lungs, then your upper lungs.
  • Hold your breath to the count of “three.”
  • Exhale slowly through pursed lips, while you relax the muscles in your face, jaw, shoulders, and stomach.

This breathing technique is a good way to get an immediate sense of relief as to whatever is bothering you at that time.

Following the instructions should take away the ‘sinking feeling’ in your stomach.

2) Making a list

Make a list of everything that is causing you stress. Most times you will end up with a to-do list. Making the list is the first step, once you have written everything down you can begin to work through them. Understand that each time you tick off an item you will feel a little better.

Remember, if you are working your way through a list, prioritize. You need to work through each of them in turn and not get distracted. Pick something and stick through it until the end.

3) Break the schedule

After you have finally finished up everything, take a break. If you are stuck in a rut it will make you stressed, doing the same thing over and over again. Take a break from the schedule. Maybe go see a movie, have a meal, go out with friends. Whatever you like take this time to do it.

Remember not to abuse this. It is a reward for doing things right and completing tasks that you have completed. Hopefully this three step detox will leave you feeling better than before and ready to move forward and be productive.

If you want to find out more about ways to deal with stress, and counselling services at Edge Hill, check out the link here!

And if you want more free and great advice email think@edgehill.ac.uk or leave a comment below and I will get back to you. If you want to suggest something to write about or want to be interviewed leave a comment below also and I will get back to you personally!