I’m Making a TV Show! | Film and Television Production

As you can tell by the title this post will be all about the TV show I am currently creating, what I have been up to in regards to the show and some advice sprinkled throughout. The TV program is part of my course, as I am a film and television production student. The brief for the production is that it has to be a ‘magazine show’, e.g this morning, the one show, blue peter, etc. However, your show can be about anything you want it to be! As long as it’s in a magazine show format and is 28 minutes and 40 seconds long.

The TV show is all about animals and is called Animal Earth. The reason I decided to do an animal show is that I just really love animals, so I thought it was a win-win situation as I can make a show while being surrounded by animals. The episode that is being filmed is all about dogs, which includes having dogs in the studio!

I’m the Director of the show, which I am loving so far! I love directing as you can be creative while coming up with the idea of the show, planning the segments in the show, and writing the autocue script. As well as directing, I have been doing other fun things such as creating a website to promote the show.

If you’re interested in the production and want to see what we’re up to as a production, feel free to check out our social media, we are on; FaceBook, Instagram, Twitter, and we have a website. So, now you’re probably wondering what I have been up to in regards to the TV production over the last week, well…

Over the last couple of weeks, my group have had studio training incorporated into our lessons. The studio sessions are always really fun, as everyone gets to work on their area of interest while working together as a team to make the show the best it can possibly be!  
The studio itself is split into two parts: the gallery (including the sound booth), and the floor (the room in which the show is shot). My group of fifteen is spread between the two parts. In the gallery, there is a vision mixer, director, autocue, script supervisor, vt operator, producer, and sound technicians.  And in the studio, there are camera operators, floor manager, runners, and of course the presenters of the show.
As director I sit in the gallery overseeing the project and telling vision mixer and vt operator what I want on the screen while communicating to my floor manager and camera people want I need them to do in the studio to make my vision happen.

Planning Segments which means calling up different companies and organisations. I’d always recommend calling the company by emailing if possible as you’re more likely to get a response there and then if they can partake in your show.   

This last couple of weeks has consisted of many group meetings. These group meetings are vital, as every meeting strengthens the project and brings the group closer together. As a group we have also been dabbling with branding, experimenting with different logos and styles!   

Casting has played an important role in the production this week as the project needed a field presenter. If you ever find yourself needing a cast for a project, I’d highly recommend the website ‘Starnow’ as it has a vast amount of actors, who don’t mind doing unpaid work. I have used this website for the last three years for all my projects.

This week I have been writing the vt scripts for our segments. Having a script for whatever you’re filming, even if you can’t plan everything that will happen on the day is vital. For example, if you’re filming in a documentary style, it is still incredibly useful to have a script, to keep a certain structure to your production.

Thanks for reading this post, I hope you found it interesting or informative. Feel free to comment if you want more posts like this or want me to blog about anything in particular. If you want to continue following this TV production, make sure to follow the Animal Earth social media, which is on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and we have a website.  
Until next time!

Film/Show of the day: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2018)