Kitchen Tips Every Student Needs to Know

For some students, the kitchen is a foreign land. You may have never cooked before coming to uni, or you’re relying on takeaway every night. If you fit into one of these categories or just want to learn some useful kitchen tips, then keep reading as that is what today’s post is about!  

So to kick this post off I thought I would ask the age-old student cooking topic: Freezer vs Fresh. There are pros and cons to both of these, frozen is good as the food will last longer and is normally cheaper, however, this food tends to have little nutritional value and usually pizza. Pros of fresh are that you’re eating healthy, it tastes nicer, however, it has a shorter window of usage and has to show more regularly for it. Personally, I enjoy using a mix of both when I cook a roast, I get my Quorn meat and Yorkshire puddings from the freezer, and my fresh vegetables, roasties, and mash from the fridge. Contrary to popular belief, eating fresh is not expensive if you know where to shop and use the food. The biggest mistake people make is buying food they don’t need or like, for example, carrots, as it feels good buying vegetables. But by doing that you’re wasting money, as you’re letting it go mouldy. So to recap: it’s best to eat both frozen and fresh because as a student it’s a cheaper, quicker and healthier alternative to take away. 

Only buy food you know you’re going to eat. This sounds simple, however, many people including myself on occasion buy food thinking that they might use it and end up putting it to the back of the fridge and forgetting about it. To stop this make sure you write a shopping list beforehand and stick to it, that way you’re not wasting money and you save on cupboard space!

Clean out your fridge and cupboards regularly, if you’re not already. This is great for hygienic reasons, but it also gives you an idea of what food you actually have to eat, as empty packets and food you didn’t know you had, will help you out! 

Always use spices in your cooking, even if you’ve never tried it before start now as it can make boring or plain dishes taste amazing! If you’ve never used spices in cooking before I recommend: Italian herbs (great for tomato-based pasta dishes to stir in while cooking), Cajun (Taste great for oven cooked vegetables), paprika (good in most things!), mint (sauce or dry jar, great for adding to gravy and roast dishes which you want to give a bit of a kick), and chilli flakes (great for pasta dishes to give it a kicking aftertaste).  

And finally, my last tip is to avoid wasting food by keeping leftovers. Leftovers are great when you’ve just come back from a long day at uni and don’t feel like cooking. This stops you from ordering takeaway and wasting food! 

Thanks for reading this post, I hope you enjoyed it or found it somewhat interesting/useful. If you want any more cooking tips or recipes, let me know with a comment and make sure to check out my other blog posts.
Until next time!

Film/Show of the day: Coco (2017)