Sean’s Random Encounters – Ormskirk Bus Station

Seans Random Encounters Text

This is a new format I am trying out, aptly named ‘Sean’s Random Encounters’. Its my job here as a blogger to give you information, making your life easier when you arrive here in September. There is, however, only so many things that I can think of to write about. Luckily there is about fifteen thousand students here than can lend me a hand and that is exactly what this blog is going to be about. I’m going to interview random students, randomly of course, and find out things like ‘Did you have a course you wanted to do from day one or did you change along the way’ or ‘Whats the best thing about Edge Hill’. So here it is, the first of Sean’s Random Encounters.

Edge Hill Bus StationWhile walking down through the Ormskirk Bus Station I noticed two students sitting on the bench near the EdgeLink stop (Read more about traveling to Orksmirk here). The question I put to both of them was this: If you could go back and tell yourself one thing before you started university what would it be? Now for the life of me I cannot remember their names (I will write them down next time) so if you are reading this and I spoke to you leave a comment and ill give you a mention!

‘Making friends is easier than I thought’

As we got talking one strong message that came up from the first year students was that making friends was easier than imagined. I asked a few more questions about how they started to socialize and meet people after moving to the university.

‘When I moved into my flat with 7 others they all felt the same way. Slowly after everyone’s parents had left we sat in the kitchen. I mean sure, we talked on the Facebook group chat before but it was still awkward meeting for the first time’ he said ‘but it got heaps easier when we got talking.’

He also mentioned the Students Union, Hub and meeting friends of friends.

‘So me and a few flat mates went to the SU and met with some of the people that they had known before university. Again awkward but because everything was going so fast on welcome Sunday we were all a little bit more out there anyway’

And at that the EL1 bus came and be parted ways.

Some great points were made here. Flatmates are people you will see almost every day so its worth befriending them. And they can even introduce you to friends that they have. Clubs, Societies and your own Course are great places to meet friends. You already have a mutual interests most likely! But there are so many ways that you couldn’t write them all down if you tried. The point is this; making friends is easy at university. So if you are stressing out over it, don’t. Everyone is on the same level as you and if you spark up a conversation anywhere from Aldi to Alpine or Bar to Bus you will find someone who is dying to talk back.

I hope you have enjoyed this blog and its new format. If you want more free and great advice email think@edgehill.ac.uk or leave a comment below and I will get back to you. If you want to suggest something to write about or want to be interviewed leave a comment below also and I will get back to you personally!