My 2017 at Edge Hill

Hello all! Today is the last day of 2017… and what a year it has been! When I look back on this year there’s so much I could talk about, it makes it hard to focus on specific things! If it wasn’t for Edge Hill these things would have never have made my 2017 as fantastic as it has been. So I thought I’d take you all on a journey with me through the past year.

Feeling refreshed after Christmas break, I got back to Ormskirk ready to do something new! I had already been doing Pole lessons in Ormskirk with Inversion Pole Fitness, but I fancied a go at Aerial hoop!

I loved it! Aerial has become one of my favourite things in the whole world, and if I had not come to Edge Hill it’s likely I’d have never have even given it a try. I even performed a Routine at the first Inversion Showcase in April with the support of my lovely aerial family, something I thought I wouldn’t be able to do but smashed!

One of my favourite memories from this year came around Summer time. Above the campus there is a wonderful woods called Ruff Woods, and me and my friend went for a wander past the woods and saw the most beautiful things. It was super sunny, super relaxing and just lovely to wander and not know what we’d find!

One of the things I’ll never ever forget is the Circus Intensive I took part in in June. The wonderful Circus Sensible came and taught a bunch of us all kinds of tricks and we put on 4 public shows! In January I’d decided a goal of mine was to learn to juggle three balls, and in June I did more than that! I juggled, I learnt devil sticks and diabolo, and I clowned around! Teaching the kids who came to watch our second and third shows how to spin plates was probably the most rewarding part of the whole experience- they were just excited to get to learn what the clowns they just saw knew!

On the topic of clowning… I performed at Ormskirk’s very own Gingerbread Festival! I spent the day hula-hooping, juggling and teaching the local kids how to do tricks. It was during the summer, so I travelled back to Ormskirk to take part, and I’m so glad I did because it was an absolutely fantastic day!

For my physical theatre module we got to go to Chester Zoo! I didn’t expect to be doing this, but it was so much fun wandering around the zoo and watching the animals. We had to pick one and observe it so we could act like it in class. I chose the sloth, which is surprisingly more active than you think! But of course, I could only catch a picture of it sleeping…

One of the biggest achievements of this year, if not the biggest, has to be what I’ve gotten from doing the aerial modules on my course. I chose both the aerial dance module and the aerial circus module, both taught by the fantastic Wired Aerial Theatre, and although I was skeptical of how well I’d do, I grew to love them both immensely and I got so strong from it! I’m so proud of the hoop routine I came up with myself on the module, and I can’t wait to perform it!

Something I hadn’t heard of before was the Student Union Crafternoons! Here students can get together with friends and do some crafts for free! I went to the dream catcher making session and I made this. It’s not the best, but I had fun!

And one of the highlights of the Christmas season was my house’s Christmas dinner! This year I chose to live in a house in Ormskirk town centre with 4 friends, and we all made a Christmas dinner together, which was delicious and fun!

The thing with all these memories is they would never have happened if I hadn’t come to Edge Hill. The clowning and the aerial modules were done through the Uni itself, and the others were done because of the people I’ve met along the way. I can’t wait for what 2018 and Edge Hill brings me!

And I hope you all have had a happy year, and have a fantastic New Year as we head into 2018 🙂