Merry Christmas & Happy Hanukkah!

Hi guys!

As Christmas is approaching, I thought it would be the perfect time to reflect on my experience of Christmas at Edge Hill. As I am Jewish, I celebrated Hanukkah – a festival which happens to take place at a similar time to Christmas. Recently, the BME (Black and Minority Ethnic) committee created a Hanukkah stall in the hub with objects such as ‘dreidels’ and ‘menorahs’ to share our traditions. Watching people of different faiths come together to learn more about one another, is something I wish I could experience more often. The acceptance and celebration of faith at Edge Hill really is wonderful.

Christmas is a lovely time with Christmas markets, the Christian Union’s carol services, and all the festive spirit amongst students and teachers. The small moments like putting up Christmas decorations (something I had never done before!) and wearing Christmas outfits on campus, allows everyone to enjoy an early Christmas together!

However, I find it difficult not to think about the people who will spend Christmas alone. I recently watched Channel 4’s ‘Old People’s Home for Four Year Old’s’ which showed groups of children visiting the elderly in an old-age home. Teaming up with Age UK, this documentary drew attention to the people who do not have anybody to share Christmas with. When their children live in another town and their friends sadly pass away, older people are often left with no contact with the outside world. 89-year-old Hamish spoke about Christmas from the perspective of too many:

“As we approach Christmas, there’s little doubt that loneliness, which grips your heart at all times, becomes far more acute when you look around and see everyone else enjoying themselves, meeting up with different people for parties – and here you are stuck on your own,” he said. Hamish’s words really stuck with me and the documentary revealed how easy it can be to help Age UK by donating or volunteering – I’ll leave a link below.

Whether you celebrate Christmas with your friends or your family, I hope you have a lovely holiday. As you look around the dinner table, cherish those small but special moments of being together with the people you love – happy holidays everyone! 🙂

https://www.ageuk.org.uk

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/old-peoples-home-for-4-year-olds