Homesickness 101 and how you can lessen the anxiety

Hey all! Hope you’re having a wonderful beginning to your week.

So… it’s finally September, and the week before Freshers’ and the Welcome Sunday! I’m sure many of you will agree with me that time flies fast!

I remember how I felt last year, waiting for the day I’d have to break more of my personal comforts than I have before. I’m the kind of person who’s always been around their family, never lived in a town other than the one I was born in, and wasn’t good at meeting new people at all… I’m that crazy friend once you know me who’ll always be talking and won’t seem an inch towards shyness whatsoever, but put me in a situation with little to no one I know, and having to meet new flatmates and coursemates and mates in general, and I will freeze up. I’ll want my mum and dad there for comfort and familiarity. I’ll want to be in a town I know like the back of my hand. I’m sure there’ll be the odd person reading this now who thinks “that sounds super familiar and I’m dreading moving”. Well my biggest tip for you will be this: feelings of dread, nervousness, and so on are human and common, but don’t let feelings of homesickness stop you from enjoying your first week at Edge Hill, cause they put on so much fun stuff!

Now, onto the real ways you can help with homesickness. The simplest thing I can suggest is to Skype/call your family. This could be daily, this could be every weekend, whatever makes you feel more comfortable and like you’re still in close contact with them. For some people, it can be super hard to not wake up with their family around them, so this is a great way to make sure you still get to hear their voice or see their faces despite the distance.

Secondly, don’t be afraid to talk about it! Your flatmates or coursemates will probably be in the same boat, and it’s not a bad thing to simply express you’re not feeling too great to them; they’ll probably even help you!

If you feel seriously homesick, and don’t think talking to someone in your flat etc. will help, the uni have some great services to help you. Firstly, there is the wellbeing team in the Student Information Centre who you can talk to in order to get some more tips than what I’m giving you now and to talk about your general wellbeing. One of the things they might suggest to help would be the Milton House Councelling services. When people hear the word “counselling” they can freeze up and think it’s some awful things they just don’t want to have to do, but it’s there if you need it, and the staff are as friendly as can be. They’ll understand how you’re feeling and they often get homesick students talking to them at the beginning of the year, so you’re not the only one! There is also your teachers. My teacher helped me massively at the beginning of the year with stress and homesickness related issues and I’m sure yours will be there for you at the drop of an email too. Just don’t be afraid to speak to someone if you need to!

But overall, the best thing you can do for yourself is not isolate yourself and find things to distract from it. If you sit locked in your room thinking about how homesick you feel, it’ll make you feel it 10 times worse. It takes a lot to go out and do something when you’re feeling that way, but trust me it’ll help you so much.

I’m going to link to an article I did below on making friends and enjoying Freshers’ if you’re an introvert, as this might be useful for some of you! But I hope you make the most of this week and don’t let you nerves get the better of you. Good luck to you all, and I’ll speak to you soon! Feel free to drop me a comment if you have a question or query 🙂

5 ways to make friends if you’re an introvert