Reflecting on my three years at Uni I am able to say what I would change if I could do it all again (I wish!). I wouldn’t take my time for granted and I would use all the little but detrimental hunts and tips I learnt straight away!
So as a third year I feel it is my duty to pass on this inherited wisdom to all you lucky freshers!
- Find little shortcuts and use them! Go exploring, go for a walk at night! Try different doors (within reason!) you might just stumble upon a shortcut or a safe little haven away from the hassle and bustle!
- Make as many friends as you can! Even if you find it hard put on an extra big smile and throw out some compliments! The more friends you have the merrier and the more opportunities you will have throughout your time at uni!
- Take up as many opportunities as possible… Don’t say NO! (Unless you have an assignment due- bad idea!). Venture to the SU on week nights, after all you’ll remember memories more than having an early night! The different nights (I.e. Karaoke night) are a real hit and are absolutely hilarious!
- Work hard… But play hard! Uni is all about balance and making sure you have he best of both worlds is absolutely essential! The more effort you put into your work the more you will get out of it! Uni is extremely rewarding! The effort you put into uni will show when you get your coursework, assignment and exam results and you should proud of yourself!
- Be proud to study, as I said before, uni is all about balance but don’t be afraid to say no and study hard! Basically, don’t bow down to peer pressure, stay true to yourself and do what makes you happy!
So these are all the little things I wish I’d have known! I hope this helps you!