Keeping in touch at uni

I’ve got to be honest, I’m surprised how well I have kept in touch with my friends at home over the last three years. My friendship group has not only retained most of it’s members, its expanded as we have introduced each other to our uni friends/boyfriends/girlfriends etc. It’s really not all that difficult to keep your friends and family up to date with your new life, although it may seem really daunting at first! To help with this, I’ve compiled a few tips to help you get your head around juggling home and uni friendships.

Skype or Facetime

I never used facetime or Skype all that much before uni. I eventually discovered, however, that they are probably the best ways to communicated with your friends and family when you’re not around them very often. I recommend, at least in the first term of uni, you arrange specific times every week/couple of weeks to facetime or skype your friends and family. This means that you always know when you’re going to ‘see’ them and it gives you something to look forward to if you’ve had a long day. If you’re parents are technophobes like mine, maybe take some time to teach them how to use skype before you go off to uni. This could be a fun (or frustrating) bonding activity that you hopefully won’t regret!

Group Chats

I swear by group chats, it’s how I sort out my social life and keep up to date with everything going on with all my different friendship groups. Maybe sort out different group chats for different friends (school, dance class, uni etc) so you can figure out what they are all up to and arrange meet ups when you’re all in the same area. I find this is a great way to let all your friends know any big news and just generally chat with them. Group chats are the best.

Visits

Nothing will stop you friend visiting home, or even inviting your friends and family to come and stay with you one weekend. It’s so nice to have a break from everything and return home, though this could be quite costly for some people who live far away. I highly recommend that you get a rail card before you start uni, this will save you so much more money than you spend on it. I also love having my friends from home come and visit Ormskirk, some of my friends have even been adopted as honorary parts of our uni friendship group because they have visited so often. It’s so lovely to see your old and new friends getting along together.

Enjoy yourself

You do need to keep in mind that you don’t have to constantly update the people at home, they’ll always be there. Try and take some time to spend with the people at uni and build upon those friendships too. Your friends and family will understand how busy uni is and shouldn’t expect you to have lengthy phone calls with them every night, you needn’t worry about keeping them up to date every day. So long as you don’t neglect them for months on end, your friendships will stay strong.

Until next time! 🙂