Homesickness

Hey everyone!

Hope you are all doing well this week. Today I’m going to be talking about homesickness, and ways to deal with it while you are at uni.

When you start your degree you will meet people who have travelled a long way to study their degree. There will be people from as close as Manchester to people from as far away as China, and everywhere in between.

Starting university is a big moment for everybody, and is always a little daunting. For students who travel further for their degree, there’s always the chance of suffering from homesickness.

It’s natural to miss home. If you’re like me, you will have spent the first 18 years of your life surrounded by your family, living in the same place and living nearby friends.

Once I moved away to Ormskirk I was worried about not seeing my friends very often and missing my family.

The truth is you will miss people, but thanks to the joys of technology it’s much easier to stay in contact with people from home.

A simple phone call to stay updated on what’s happening with your friends can work wonders, it always helped me when I was feeling a little down.

Skype is one of the best ways to stay in touch, not only can you talk to friends and family but you can see them. This makes it feel like you’re still at home, and you can never miss it too much because it’s only a phone call away!

The first few weeks I had at uni me and my family would Skype every week or so. It really helped me to adjust, and I would definitely recommend a quick phone call to check in whenever you feel a little homesick.

At the start of the academic year the Students Union at Edge Hill usually run a Homesickness workshop, which anyone can attend, and offers guidance on how to overcome homesickness.

One other thing I would recommend is to keep yourself busy! As my workload started to increase over the semester I skyped home a little less, but I didn’t miss home quite as much.

Keeping your mind occupied on work or having fun with friends will make the time go by a little faster, meaning you’ll be one step closer to visiting home.

Although I still missed my family and friends when I was away in second year I find I also miss uni and my friends there while I’m at home.

The best advice I can give is to always have fun and stay in contact with friends and family, then you’ll never feel like you’re too far away from home.

Until next time!

Becki 🙂