My Fresher’s Week

Chancellor’s Court – the hall’s I lived in during First Year

Despite it being almost two years ago, I do still remember my Fresher’s Week (Granted, my memories were jogged by a journal entry I wrote at the time). It was odd to be somewhere completely new, whilst knowing next to no-one. It was also odd getting used to “student living” and essentially becoming more independent. Unlike many others I’m sure, I didn’t go out a whole lot during the week, but nonetheless, it was a week of firsts and a pleasant experience to get me settled in at Edge Hill University.

Before university, I had rarely (if ever) gone clubbing before, opting for social drinks in pubs or at house parties – and that didn’t change during my Fresher’s Week, although it could have! There were a number of opportunities available, however, I just didn’t end up going for one reason or another. Most of the people I had bonded with in the first few days weren’t big into drinking and there was also the case of someone I’d planned to go out with napping through the day and missing tickets for the Level takeover happening in Liverpool.

The Quad

I did, however, end up going to the paint party in the Quad with one of my flatmates, which was a nice experience. We’d found each other one our hall’s Facebook group and had got to know each other the month before university started, so we’re already friends by the time we met at uni. We ended up playing video-games one night with another flatmate, which in my opinion was as good a night as any other that week. We also went to the fresher’s fair together the next day, where I signed up for far too many societies and clubs.

Later during the week, after meeting some coursemates and even going to the zoo with them (field trip, woo!), a few of us had some drinks in our halls. The first week’s lectures are largely informative formalities but also aim to build relationships within the group. Activities in random groups and a few silly icebreakers were much appreciated and definitely helped cement some friendships that are still strong today.

If there’s any advice I would give to prospective students it’s to put yourself out there. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and be yourself, because those who appreciate your true-self are those you deserve to have as friends. On the same note of being yourself, don’t do anything you don’t want to. If you’re not the type to drink, then you don’t have to – again, those who are worth your time will understand.