Making Friends and Meeting People

Hey everyone!

As June draws to a close a lot of you will be nearing the end of the college year (if you haven’t already finished!)

That means you’ll be focusing on waiting for results day and preparing for uni.

One of the biggest fears I think most people have about starting uni is that they won’t know anyone.

If you decide to live on campus, or in accommodation in Ormskirk, chances are you won’t have met the people you will soon be living with.

Even if you live at home, starting a degree means you’ll be surrounded by a bunch of new people in seminars and lectures.

It’s natural to feel a little bit scared about that. I know you will have heard this a million times already but every one is in the exact same boat as you.

I remember being really nervous before I came to uni, wondering how I was possibly going to interact with my flatmates and make new friends whilst trying to study, find my way around campus and adjust to living away from my family.

The truth is I didn’t need to be nervous about any of it. I really enjoyed my first few weeks at Edge Hill, and all the people I met along the way were a huge part of that.

It pushed me out of my comfort zone a little, but it led to forming some friendships that have made my uni experience all the more exciting.

Although it may be a little daunting at first, everyone wants to settle in and everyone wants to enjoy their experience at uni. And everyone you meet at Edge Hill is willing to go the extra mile.

In first week a History tutor walked us to the building our seminar was in because we were very, very lost. On the way I got talking to the other girls with me, and we ended up spending the next few weeks together in seminar and lectures we shared.

Every experience is an opportunity to meet people from so many different places, and an opportunity to reach out and make a new friend.

My biggest tip for you when you start uni is to be open and just smile as much as you can! If people see you smiling they’re likely to strike up a conversation and you never know what might happen.

Quote for the day: “It’s the friends we meet along the way that help us appreciate the journey.” -Unknown

Until next time!

Becki 🙂