Saying goodbye and keeping in touch

I’m feeling rather nostalgic this evening, most likely because I only have one more week left on placement – my old primary school – and I’m getting ready to say goodbye. So today, I’m here to talk about staying in touch with people from school.

Despite leaving my secondary school to start at a new sixth form, it still came as a bit of a shock to the system when it dawned upon me that I would soon be leaving all of my friends behind to start a new phase of my life. Naturally, I had mixed feelings about it; my sixth form friends had been there with me throughout a really intense, important two years of my life. I couldn’t imagine surviving university without them.

And in many ways, I haven’t had to. The group chat that was started way back at the end of 2013 is still there, a constant reminder than even when I feel rubbish, I have my friends from sixth form to help me through it. I’m a Primary Ed student and there isĀ so many of us, that sometimes it feels like you just cannot escape the subject. Knowing that I have my friends from sixth form (studying a vast range of degrees: Computing, Zoology, Geography, Maths etc) that have absolutely no idea what goes on at Edge Hill or on my degree, helps me when I just need some space from it all.

So my message to you is this: Leaving school does not have to mean leaving your friends behind.

And if we look at it cynically, moving on at least helps you to figure out who your real friends are, rather than those you were simply with out of convenience.

It makes the time that you do spend with them even more special, because let me tell you, trying to organise meeting up with any more than 2 people at a time can be absolutely disastrous! People have different holidays and different course demands, which makes things challenging – but definitely worth it.

So swap telephone numbers, add each other on snapchat and whatsapp and whatever it is you use, and make sure to stay in touch. I 100% promise you that it will be worth it.