Things I Learnt in my First Weeks at Uni

It’s a known fact that you learn a lot at university, you don’t need me to tell you that. But a lot of the more practical aspects of your university education will often go unnoticed. Over the years I have learnt so much about how to effectively adult, but a lot of that actually cropped up in the first few weeks. Uni turned out to be a whole new world to what I was used to and I had to adjust to it. I’ve compiled a list of the this you can expect to encounter when you first start uni.

Cleaning

I’m a self-proclaimed neat freak, but I still struggled with trying to get my head around proper full-on cleaning. I wasn’t sure what each different cleaning product did, I mean I’m still not sure what all of them do. However, I gradually figured out how I would go about cleaning the spaces I was responsible for and came up with a sort of cleaning timetable that helped me figure out what to do when, this really helped me get my head around something I hadn’t always had to do in such depth.

Doing Laundry

I still laugh when I think about the first time I did my own laundry, I spent ages sending my mum photos of my washing asking if this top was light or if these jeans were dark. I hadn’t a clue! Laundry is a risky business, if you mess up you could end up with some really dodgy looking clothes. But it’s nothing to worry about once you get the hang of it. My advice for this is to ask for help, don’t risk messing up because you’re too shy, once you do it once, you’ll know what to do for next time.

Food Shopping

The food shop was one of the first things I had to conquer. On my second day at uni I set off to Aldi with no idea what I needed or what I even wanted to eat, that was a great start… I urge you to make a list when going food shopping, maybe even think of what meals you’d like throughout the week and get only the ingredients for them. This method will not only save you time and money, it will also stop you from buying random foodstuffs that don’t go together which will eventually end in you producing more waste.

Having to make important phone calls

This was the part of adulthood I was always dreading. I’ve never been good on the phone and the idea of booking an appointment for something or sorting out something important like bills over the phone still give me the creeps. But University has alleviated some of my fear, even in the first few weeks of uni you may have to deal with people over the phone – i.e. maintenance people, doctors, dentists etc – But there is nothing to worry about, these people are on the other end of the phone to help you, and you know, as they say, practice makes perfect!

Until next time! 🙂