Food budgeting 101

Hello all, hope you’ve been enjoying the sunshine that’s hit us recently!

As I mentioned in my last post, I wanted to do a follow up on the topic of food and eating, but specifically budgeting for your meals throughout the week.

In September, my budget for food was drastically different to what it is now, but you learn to budget for your requirements throughout your first year at Uni. The main thing that I changed in order to cut down my food budget was to stop relying on branded food. We all have our favourite food brands- McCain’s, Coco Pops, the list could go on – but the unbranded stuff doesn’t get the love and appreciation it deserves (other than from students!).

Around Ormskirk there are some great food shops for students, I’d say we had the best selection for a University. There’s a Morrison’s, Aldi, Poundland, Iceland and Poundstretcher. I didn’t know how fussy I’d be with shopping, as I usually go to Asda with my family and I didn’t know how different prices would be and what these shops would stock in comparison. However, I’m very much converted to Morrison’s and Aldi! Sometimes I can get meals for about 3 days for about £5! It all just comes down to a few main things:

• Stick to your budget. The moment you break from it, the more relaxed you become with your weekly budget and the less money you’ll have for social events and such.
  • Stick to your shopping list. And make a list! If you don’t, you tend to cruise the aisles and just grab stuff willingly, which can cost you money you could have otherwise used for different things.
  • Treat yourself, but not too often. This is mostly applicable to the things such as buying your branded food and things such as desserts and indulgence snacks.
  • Don’t be afraid of the unbranded stuff! Morrison’s Savers and Aldi’s own brand food is so cheap in comparison, yet tastes just as good or even better 9 times out of 10!

A good thing to do before you arrive is to check on the websites for the shops I listed above and see what kind of food they sell and at what prices, so that you have an idea of what to expect upon arriving at Edge Hill and to Ormskirk. I think Ormskirk is one of the best towns for students, both socially and for the “adult” things such as grocery shopping!

Hope these tips will help you!