First Year Going on Second Year…

Moving up an academic year can be scary. Things are going to change which may not necessarily be what you want. However, in this blog post, I hopefully wish to help you out as much as I can with this transition!

Pay attention in lectures! Every year of university is important, however, this is where it starts to matter for many courses such as my own. So take notes and stay awake! My best tip for note taking in lectures is to write down the key points the lecturer is saying, as well as the lecture slides. Which sounds very obvious but by copying down slides word for word, you’re not catching everything that is being said, which is pointless as the slides are uploaded onto Blackboard. Additionally, trying to keep up with the speed of the lecture and note taking can be stressful if you bite off more than you can chew, I know from personal experience, so just download the presentation later at home and go through and make notes in your own time. Independent learning and all that!

Go the extra mile when looking for references, and be more critical in your work. You’ve been doing academic essays for a least a year now at this point, meaning the stakes are going to be raised higher. Don’t stress out or be intimidated by this, I myself am rubbish at essays, however, if you learn to be more critical in your work while constructing points and get a variety of different references from different sources, then you’re on the right track!

Adding to my last point, don’t feel bad if you ever get a lower grade than expected. It’s easy to get upset when you go from getting all firsts to receiving a 2:2, however it’s a learning curve, which shouldn’t stop you from wanting to achieve higher, but at the same time shouldn’t deter you from ever trying again. Grades are important, and definitely will help ease the pressure in third year if you do well in second year, however, don’t let grades cloud your judgement/ability, you have what it takes, just because the stakes have been raised doesn’t mean you can’t rise to the occasion!

Additionally, try not to stress! This year does have more deadlines, however, keeping a clear mind and positive attitude will be way more useful for you than if you freak out. Feel free to check out my fairly recent post on how to deal with stress.  

Don’t blow your student loan. Second year is notoriously more experience compared to first year, as if you live away from home you’ve most likely moved into a student house and have to start paying bills. It’s also more tempting if you live in town to go out and buy takeaway rather than cook food yourself. But honestly, do yourself a favour and start saving. That money will come in handy in the future when you’re looking for a place after university.

And finally, things will change and that’s okay. Second year isn’t going to be identical to first year which is a given and you’re just going to have to roll with it. You’ve possibly moved into a new place, the course has increased in difficulty and you might have lost contact/fallen out with old friends/flatmates. But, you’ve just got to learn to adapt. Yes, you could sit there and cry, or you can smile and embrace the change! Nothing is set in stone, things change and that’s a good thing, you’ve just got to put your own spin on it and stay positive!

Anyway, thank you for reading this post, I hope this helped you in somehow. And I hope you have a good week!
Until next time!

Film/Show of the day: Penelope (2006)

One Reply to “First Year Going on Second Year…”