Travelling home

If you decide that you want to move away from homeĀ for Uni it can be hard to balance visiting home and travelling to and from Uni. One thing I have found hard is balancing visiting friends and family with making the most of my time at Uni.

If there was one thing I would say when trying to get the right balance, it would be to make sure that you don’t try to please people too much. Your friends will understand if you can’t go home every weekend to see them in the same way that your uni friends will also understand that you can’t see them all the time too and that you have friends at home too.

In regards to family. My family have been really understanding that most of the time it isn’t actually necessary for you to be at every meal that you all have together and however much this is sad as you can sometimes feel like you’re missing out on all the stories, it is good that they understand. If your parents do expect this, my advice would be to set them straight and explain that it costs you money to go home all the time and so for them to expect this, is asking a lot of you. if you tell them right from the start that this isn’t going to possible they might be upset or annoyed but they won’t expect it anymore and I guarantee they won’t hate you forever!

Don’t let anyone alter or affect your university degree in a way that you don’t want them to. It’s your degree and you need to make the most of it. People will understand that you are busy and that you don’t have all the money in the world. However, if you want to go home often, then your friends at Uni should understand this too. You need to make the right decision for you and not feel pressured by anyone else.