Being a student guide

We’ve talked a lot about how part time jobs can really help with giving you a little extra money to have in your pocket.

Today, I’m talking about becoming and being a student guide.

Above is a picture of just some of the student guides during last year’s summer residential.

The Student Guide position is one you can apply for in your 1st and 2nd year. When I applied, I had to fill out a short application, then attend a group interview and workshop.

When I applied, everyone automatically had to complete a DBS, which basically means you’re allowed to work with children and vulnerable adults. However, I believe that’s changed, and now you get to choose if you wish to be a Pre-16 guide or Post-16 guide; this just means that if you choose Pre-16, you will still have to complete a DBS, so you can work with the younger years.

Student Guide jobs can include:

• packing envelopes, to send out to applicants
  • giving campus and accommodation tours
  • assisting with school visits
    • campus tours
    • workshops (debating, design a uni, budgeting, personal statement)
    • delivering students to and from sessions
  • helping out at big events, such as the Open and Applicant Days
  • working during the residential

Don’t be put off if you’re worried about standing in front of others, or don’t feel like you have enough knowledge about certain things! Being a student guide can really help improve your confidence, and there is plenty of training along the way, with a lovely host of staff members who are willing to help you out wherever needed.

Here’s how it works:

1. You’ll receive an email from our portal, sent from a member of the Education Liaison Team
  2. Once logged into the portal, you will see work that is listed that you’re able to do
  3. If you’re not busy and can attend, you can confirm (or reject, if you can’t)
  4. Usually within a week, sometimes longer, the staff in the office will confirm you for work

This means that you can pick the days that are easiest for you, when the work becomes available. I really love that I’ve been able to pick work up – at a really good wage – around my studies. Although it is really flexible and we do have a lot of fun, it’s important to remember that it is a real job so if you’re not interesting in working hard, it may not be the job for you.

However, my favourite thing about the job is the amount of people I’ve met along the way. If I hadn’t become a student guide, it is unlikely that I’d have met even half of the friends I do have at uni.