One of the first things everyone notices when they first visit Edge Hill is Ormskirk’s town centre. I’ve heard it described as quaint by family and home friends many times, and it’s one of the things I love about living in Ormskirk.

If, like me, you like to escape the hustle and bustle of big cities Ormskirk is a pretty great place to do it.

Small towns sometimes have a reputation for being boring, but I’m here to put that idea to rest. Just because I’m a small town girl doesn’t mean I’m living in a lonely world (bonus points to you if you get the Journey reference.)

Ormskirk

Ormskirk has everything you need, and nearly everything is within easy walking distance.

There’s a Morrisons and Aldi in town for you to do the dreaded weekly shop, plenty of cafes to grab a quick bite to eat and some
unique little pubs.

Plus every Thursday and Saturday is market day. Ormskirk is mostly known for being a market town (and surprisingly for it’s gingerbread!) The market has been running in the town centre for hundreds of years, and it’s a great place to check out for food, gifts and clothing.

Liverpool

Another great thing about Ormskirk is that it’s pretty well connected by bus and rail, meaning you can hop on the train to Liverpool and be there in 30 minutes.

Liverpool has tonnes of things to do: museums, the cinema, shopping in Liverpool One – the list just keeps on going.

One of my favourite things to do in Liverpool is mini-golfing.

It’s only about a five minutes walk from the train station and they have a student discount, so it’s a great way to spend the day and have fun with friends.

Don’t worry, you don’t actually have to be good at golf! My hand-eye coordination is terrible but I keep going back, it’s all about just enjoying yourself.

Southport

Southport is a half an hours bus ride from Ormskirk, which is great for those sunny days.

Of course Southport has lots of shopping opportunities too and an arcade but the best reason to visit Southport is definitely for the beach.

As soon as the sun comes out me  and a few friends jump on the bus and head to spend a day building sandcastles, sunbathing and paddling in the sea.

Just imagine you’re on holiday, but you don’t have to do any of the packing, what could be better?

There’s so much to do in and around Ormskirk, as long as you know where to go you will definitely keep the boredom at bay!

Quote for the day: ‘Towns are like people. Old ones often have character.’ Angle of Repose – Wallace Stegner

Until next time!

Becki 🙂