It’s worth it in the end

I won’t lie to you… second year has been incredibly tough for me, for a whole range of reasons. Now, it’s a Sunday evening and I’ve just finished my lesson planning for the following week; I’m busier on placement than I am in the entirety of the rest of my degree, yet it’s the best kind of busy. And being on placement reminds me why I’m here in the first place.

When a child asks you if you’ll be their class teacher forever; or you see another child, who doesn’t really respond much in lessons, get excited by a topic you’re teaching… the overwhelming sense of pride and love for this career is enough to put you through the stress of assignments ten times over. It’s enough that you don’t care that you’re up late planning, because if you get that one child to smile at something, to connect with something that you teach next week, it will have all been worth it.

My best kind of advice for all of you, is to find something that gives you a similar feeling. That may not be teaching; that may be seeing people respond positively to some media you’ve created, or at the very least to have felt like they related. It may be seeing kids get better and go home from hospital with their parents. It might be doing a particularly satisfying bit of maths or coming across a piece of research that will one day change the future.

In an entirely different context, Taylor Swift said, ‘If you know how you feel, and you so clearly know what you need to say, you’ll know it.’ Of course, this didn’t mean what I’m twisting it to mean when she originally said it, but I do think it can be applied here. If you love something so much, I 100% think you should study it, or make it your hobby, or whatever it is you decide to, because life is too short not to do things that YOU want to do.

And I know, as a result of my placement, that this is something I 100% love. Some of you may not know what it is you love, but that just means you get to spend more time trying new things to figure it out.