“The Time to Relax Is When You Don’t Have Time for It”: How to Deal with Stress

Today’s blog post is going to be a little different from what I usually write, as today I wanna have more of a chatty conversation about something that affects even the best of us at times: stress.
Now I’ll be the first one to put my hands up and admit that I’m not the best with dealing with deadlines, general university life and other stressful situations at times, my personality, which is a mixture of anxious over thinking and carefree attitude, is not a great combination at all when it comes to this!

So today I’m going to be looking into this matter a little more to see if there are any tips and tricks I can uncover to compact this issue once and for all!

Academic pressure is a big contributor to stress, and let’s be honest, it’s inevitable. However, this shouldn’t get the better of you! Deadlines, essays and exams will come and go, but they don’t have to be as stressful as they are currently, there are ways to reduce it, for example being organised.
This may seem boring, but keeping lists or carrying a diary around with you may help, as you’ll feel more prepared as you know when you’re busy and when you’re free, so you can plan your time more efficiently. It’s easy to become overwhelmed by deadlines, but hopefully bringing more organisation into the mix will help.

Poor life choices, when it comes to how much you sleep and what you eat.
We’ve all been there, it’s 11 o’clock at night, you’ve just finished an episode of a tv show you enjoy, and you’re just about to go to bed when you think to yourself: “Hmm, maybe I can fit one more episode of this tv show in before going to bed”. Then boom, it’s 6 episodes later and you have 3 hours til you have to be up and ready for your lecture. So do yourself a favour and go to bed! I personally struggle with this one so much as I’m a bit of a night owl, however, there is a happy compromise to all this, which might drag you back to your high school days, which is: go to bed earlier than you usually would if you have a lecture the next day. It’s honestly as simple as that.
Additionally, try waking up before 9 or 10 o’clock on some of your days off, you’ll feel better for it as you won’t feel like you wasted a day and you’ll have time to get stuff done!      

Poor eating habits, as I said before, can also bring about stress as you need energy to get on with your day which you can’t really do if you’re always eating junk food. So do yourself a favour, put down the KFC and venture to Aldi. For the same amount you’d be paying for that one fast-food meal you can buy a bag full of groceries which will make you feel a lot better physically and mentally as you’ll be saving yourself some money! 

Full Schedule. Sometimes stress comes from having too much going on in your life. You’ve said yes to that party, yes to helping your friend with their food shopping, yes to volunteering, yes to that trip to the cinema, as well as doing your coursework, and the day rolls around and you realise you’ve over booked yourself, you said yes to everyone, so now you have no time to relax. The thing is that you don’t have to say yes to everyone, it’s more than okay to say no. And you should be able to say no happily without negative repercussions.
This issue always reminds me of a diagram I saw online once, which had everything that you’re expected to maintain and keep up with, and honestly, it looks daunting, however when you break it all down and schedule your time efficiently, it’s less scary and allows you to maintain all of them with less stress involved.

And finally, every student’s biggest enemy: procrastination. It’s unavoidable, we all do it. How many times have you had to do an essay and somehow found yourself sorting through your third draw of your chest of drawers just to avoid doing it? (This is most definitely coming from experience.)
However, if you just get on with the essay you have to do, or start revising, then once you’re done you can actually do something fun. It’s crazy but I find myself wasting time doing boring things just so I avoid doing work, when in reality if I had just got down and done the work I could have been doing something fun without feeling guilty about it. So overall, just do it straight away, you’ll thank yourself later for it.

Thank you for reading this post, I hope you enjoyed it and found it somewhat useful.
And just remember that ‘Keep calm and carry on’ is more than just a saying you see on a poundland mug, it’s something to bear in mind next time you’re stressing out about an upcoming assignment or social gathering.
Whatever you’re going through currently, won’t last forever, there will come a time when you’re work free and have time to relax, so until then, just remember: you’ve got this!
Until next time!

Film/Show of the day: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)

Save

Save