Summer Residential: What is it?

A few weeks ago, Vicki talked about her experience of the summer residential. This is a 4-day, 3-night residential for Year 12 / First year college students who wish to attend a taster session of their chosen subject, and experience university life.

Although I did do a summer residential – an experience I would recommend to anyone – I didn’t attend the one that Edge Hill ran. If I’d have known that they offered one, I definitely would have done it, for a number of reasons.

1. It gives you an opportunity to get a feel for the campus and make a real, informed decision that this is the university you want to attend
  2. It gives you an opportunity to try out the subject you’re thinking of studying at university. I know some people who attended a residential and completely changed their mind about the subject they wanted to study – which is just as important, if not more so, as finding out it definitely is the subject you want to learn more about.
  3. The Edge Hill residential offers you the opportunity to spend your 4 days finding out a bit more about one specific subject, more than what is in the course or module information.
  4. Last year, the students spent their time on a mini project, meaning you leave your 4 days at Edge Hill knowing more than you did before.
  5. From my own experience of a residential, I made friends that I still keep in contact with now, despite us attending different universities.

As well as spending time in your sessions, you will get an opportunity to mix with lots of different people during the evenings. Last year – when I worked during the residential as a Student Guide – we ran an activities evening, society & pizza night and Edge Fest. The first night – the activities night – was the only night that we strongly recommended everyone attend, whilst the others it was merely suggested that they might like to. However, most people were interested in attending the following nights, as society night gave them a bit more insight into university life, and the final night was just so enjoyable! The final night – Edge Fest – was my favourite, as this was when we had a barbecue and spent the evening in what is known as ‘The Quad’ at Edge Hill. We had a few student guides on facepainting, some on temporary tattoos and one of the student guides DJ’d the event, following a quiz. It was a wonderful end to a fabulous week.

To get onto the residential, you’ll need to write a mini personal statement and about your education history. As it is during the summer, you have to apply individually, rather than through your school. Places are limited, so I suggest applying soon, if you’re interested.