Exams!

Hey everyone!

Hope you all had a fantastic Easter, and although you were probably looking forward to all the chocolate you were going to get, the Easter holidays tend to mean one very important thing: exams are just around the corner!

If you have exams coming up this summer then this post is for you. I’m going to offer a little advice about how to prep for exams and tips for revision.

Even if you are lucky enough to have no exams on the horizon (like me) then you will probably have upcoming assignments, so these tips are for you too. They definitely help me stay on track with work, and I’m hoping they can work for you too!

1. Make a Revision Timetable (and stick to it)

It’s easy to imagine exams and assignment deadlines as things far off in the future, but time can slip away quicker than you realise. Every year I make sure I have a wall calendar or a planner, which I’ll update with any upcoming deadlines.

Having things in writing helps you keep things in perspective. And if you struggle to make yourself work drawing up a revision timetable will help you manage your workload (so you don’t have to worry about stress and pulling all-nighters the week before a deadline/exam.)

Be realistic about the amount of work you think you will do, and designate some days off to just relax, there is such a thing as too much work!

A realistic timetable that you can stick to definitely helps with stress too 🙂

2. Figure Out When You Work Best

Some people will tell you to never spend all night working in the library, and while that’s generally true the night before a major deadline, some people work best at night.

If you feel like you are most productive in the middle of the night, then take advantage of it. Edge Hill’s library is open 24 hours throughout a lot of the year, so you don’t even have to worry about not having access to a space to work or the books you need.

I work best in the morning, so when I make a timetable for work I tend to utilise that. A few early mornings, working for a few hours and having the evening off to rest always works for me, and I find the work I do in the mornings is better than when I try to work during the afternoon or evening.

3. Take Breaks Regularly

This doesn’t mean scrolling through Facebook every half an hour or checking your messages constantly (I’m very guilty of this.)

Try to create a workspace with minimal distractions. If you are working at home, turn off your phone so you’re not tempted to check it throughout the day.

However, it is important to take regular breaks.

If you attempt to spend several hours revising or writing an assignment, chances are your brain will start to drift and then you’ll take in less information.

So take a break every hour or two, go for a walk, get some study snacks or just pause to take in what you’ve already achieved that day. It will definitely pay off in the long run.

Quote for the day: “If you don’t study, you shall not pass.” -Unknown 

Until next time 🙂

-Becki