What Can I Watch in The Arts Centre?

Edge Hill’s Arts Centre has a lot of different productions and events throughout the year, from professional productions to student-run shows. They run a special membership scheme for students where you get a number of free tickets per term. Recently, I had the opportunity to watch a play written by one of my creative writing tutors called Borderland, put on by Public Burning Theatre. I really enjoyed it and I’d like to share a review of it with you to give an idea of what you can expect from the Arts Centre.

Cast

• Lucky Sanghera as Aminah
  • Chloe McLauglin as Kayla
  • Rob Ward as Terry

Storyline

Kayla, an aspiring boxer and Aminah, a muslim girl become friends after the girls end up in detention together. Kayla saved Aminah from a group of girls who were bullying her and makes it plain that she expects Aminah to be grateful, which doesn’t set them off on the right foot. However, they grow closer, despite the threat and forbidden nature of their relationship. Terry, Kayla’s uncle and boxing coach finds out about their friendship and is furious. They carry on seeing each other regardless and they finally realise they have feelings for each other. They must battle with their feelings and what they are taught is right. They then meet years later when Aminah is married, though unable to conceive children and Kayla has a partner and a daughter.

Thoughts

I found this play to be very powerful, it’s subject matter was so relevant and really made you think about the prejudice in the world. The character were incredible relatable, the actresses brought them through their realistic portrayals. The set design was very cleverly made use of. There was a row of lockers that held costume pieces and props that were brought out when needed – I thought that was very Brechtian (there goes my A level drama). Above all I found the play hilarious but the ending was so heart-breaking – this balance was what struck me the most as it kept me interested and wasn’t all comedy or drama but a good mixture of both. The ending had me conflicted though; from a writers point of view I thought it was very clever and very well written but from an audience point of view it tore my heart to shreds!

So, this is the kind of thing you can expect to see at The Arts Centre, but there is so much more! The Arts Centre is one of my favourite places to go on campus as it has such a huge variety of events and shows.

Until next time! 🙂