How to adult- a crash course in University life

One of the things most people worry about when it comes to University is the independence that comes with it if you choose to live away from home. But if there’s one thing I’ve learnt from my first year at this University, once you’ve settled in and you’ve figured your routines out, you take the responsibilities in your stride!

Below are a few examples I’ve come across through the past 6 months:

Budgeting (and shopping)

Budgeting is probably the biggest responsibility students come across. Not only do you need to ensure that you have enough money to have a healthy and happy social life, you need to ensure you have money for food. It takes most people some time to get used to the different things you need to budget for as a Uni student, but once you’ve been shopping a few times and figured out your usual expenditures you’ll get the hang of it.

Below are a couple of articles on budgeting that might give you some tips and tricks that can prepare you for September!

All things budgeting…

Money Makes the World Go ‘Round: Budgeting for Students

Laundry

I know, it seems like something that would be low on the list, but I underestimated the time I would have to put into ensuring I had clothes readily available to wear and didn’t budget for paying for it either! Some people I know were already doing all of their laundry back home, but I only operated an iron and ironing board as I was worried I would damage either my clothes or the washing machine itself! If there’s something I’ve learnt a lot about this year, it’s how to ensure I can clothe myself;

• Lesson 1: Don’t spend your laundry money on Domino’s pizza… oh, and that includes your money for washing tablets, you need them to actually wash for starters!
  • Lesson 2: Laundry takes time. Don’t wake up an hour before a lesson thinking you’ll be able to put the clothes you wanna wear on and turn up on time…
  • Lesson 3: It’s not a one step system… as well as the time taken to wash the clothes, you need to dry them too, and iron them if they need it. I usually dedicate a day over the weekend to get it done without distractions or timing issues!
  • Lesson 4: … Don’t stick flannel/gym kit/delicate material in a dryer unless you want it to fit your future children… it shrinks!

Although it’s an added thing for your to-do list, the joy always comes after a wash day when you get to throw yourself onto your laundry bag which is full of lovely warm, freshly dried clothing… it’s my biggest adulting guilty pleasure!

Sleeping

An eternal struggle for most students… you either sleep too much and get nothing done, or sleep too little and zombie-walk your way through life! I have a habit of not watching the clock, and without my parents to ensure my bed is actually getting slept in, I can sometimes be doing assignments or (more realistically) watching Netflix till the early hours of the morning!

But it’s important to get into a habit of sleeping a decent amount and at a fairly regular time, as you can slip into some really bad habits that could affect your studies and your ability to adult in general.

So, I could list a few other things in this post, but trust me, once you get into the swing of things and start to stand on your own two feet life gets easier and I actually find the independence brings me so much more from life than when I was trying my hardest to escape responsibilities!

If there are any questions or worries you have, please don’t hesitate to pop me a comment 🙂

And on that note, I’ll leave you with this:

3 Replies to “How to adult- a crash course in University life”

1. What about cooking? Cleaning? Time keeping? The academic side of things? Dealing with missing home? Remembering to keep in touch with people from home? Keeping healthy? Making new friends? Dealing with all of the issues that come with sharing accommodation? Transport issues? Things like finding a doctor and dentist? Tips on earning/saving money? Good article but very brief!

1. Hi Louise,
      Those are all definitely things that are important to student life and I’ll be more than happy to do a follow up post on them as I’d only chosen a couple of topics for this specific post. I’ll do a post within the next week or two so I hope it’ll be helpful 🙂 I’ve recently made a post on how to make friends, and have previously posted about transport so I hope that these articles are helpful too:
      https://blogs.edgehill.ac.uk/insideedge/2017/04/23/5-ways-to-make-friends-if-youre-an-introvert/
      https://blogs.edgehill.ac.uk/insideedge/2017/01/05/transport-to-from-and-around-edge-hill/
      There is also an Applicant Mentoring Scheme for if you have further questions after I make a follow up post or if you have any currently that you want answering, if you send an email to think@edgehill.ac.uk they’d be happy to let you know how to get involved! Hope you’re having a great day,
      Rhiannon