My Studying Essentials

It’s very easy to get distracted whilst trying to get your uni work done. Procrastination is one of the most tempting forces in the universe and we all fall victim to it from time to time and find ourselves watching irrelevant Youtube videos with hours-worth of work still left to do. But I have some tactics essential to my studying routine to help me from getting distracted.

Music

Some people have to work in complete silence. Me, however, I find that I need music to concentrate on my work. It’s best to find a playlist of relaxing music, perhaps without lyrics, that won’t distract you too much. Spotify has some great pre-made playlists or you can make your own. You’ll find it will drown out any background sound and keep you focused for longer.

Hydration

I’m a big advocate for staying hydrated lately, I always drink loads whilst studying. I drink endless cups of tea and glasses of water when I have big essays. This keeps me from getting headaches and I don’t have to keep getting up for drinks if I have them there and prepared. I recommend either sorting yourself a pot of tea so you can just pour it at your desk or have a few bottles of water ready so you don’t ruin your work flow.

Comfort

Being comfortable whilst working is really important, but don’t be so comfortable that you end you falling asleep. You have to be able to find the balance where you can sit for hours but won’t become preoccupied with how cosy you are. I recommend sitting at a desk but wearing comfy clothes and maybe a few cushions to pad out the chair if it’s usually uncomfortable. I’d avoid working on your bed as, if you’re anything like me you’ll be far too tempted to sleep!

Peace

Having peace and quiet whilst working is essential for me. The best way to do this is to block out all distractions. Shut your door or ask your flatmates to keep the noise down, politely of course. Or if that isn’t possible – you have to be considerate of the people you live with too – alternatively you can go to the silent area of the library or book a study room which is brilliant for getting your work done!

Until Next time! 🙂