What it’s Really Like Living in Back Halls

Today I’m going to be reminiscing on my first year of uni again, as today I’m going to be talking about my first year on campus accommodation, which as you can see by the title of the post was Back Halls. Now before I start I’d like to clear something up as there is a lot of negativity towards Back Halls as it is one of the cheapest accommodations on campus and it’s old, like really old. However I can honestly say I loved my time in Back Halls, and maybe that’s because I didn’t come from a household which has all the glitz and glamor in the first place, but for what Backs Halls is, I think it’s great. So without further or do, I’ll give you a tour of my old flat!

So just for context, I didn’t apply for back halls, my main choice was forest court and nowhere on my list was back halls, making the news of getting placed there quite sad. Luckily it turned out great, not only money wise but experience wise as well as I was placed in Margaret Bain, which for those of you who don’t know is self-catered, female only, and has 8 to 9 people on each floor, sharing those facilities. This might sound like hell for some people, as there is an assumption that fights would occur, and yes, there were times when people got on each other’s nerves, but that’s just what living together, in general, does to you, and honestly, it wasn’t bad at all. Now, this leads me onto the number one question I’d always get asked which was “What’s it like sharing a bathroom between that many people?”. And to answer that: it’s not bad at all, I never really found myself waiting to use it (only a handful of times, so not much at all) and the bathroom and toilet are two separate rooms, so no inconvenience there. The kitchen, on the other hand, was a different story.

Close up view from the door.

Just like the bathroom, the kitchen is shared between eight, each person has a food cupboard with a lock on it, and the rest of the kitchen cupboards are shared out between you, there is also two fridge freezers and one cooker, so it has everything you need. One of the biggest issues with this situation was space, which in the end was okay as fridge room wasn’t too much of an issue because as a student you buy fewer perishables, the freezer, however, was a different story as sometimes people’s food would spill over into your draw. But overall I didn’t count that as a big issue, the only issue I really had was the cooker as there is one between eight of us so made tea time hell on times.

View from my window.

But overall it’s not that much of a negative as you only need to cook in there and it does that job, so I was happy overall. However one thing that many people don’t realise is that there are no tables in back halls, the kitchen is too small for one, so there just isn’t one, which means you have to eat your food at your desk in your room which was weird at first but I got use to it. So you think with that in mind people wouldn’t wanna eat at mine: wrong! Instead, takeaway night was held at mine every week. You might be asking yourself why this is the case when many of my friends lived in chancellor’s court and the simple answer to that is that the rooms in back halls are huge, and it’s amazing! Speaking of room, I should probably get on explaining that to you!

When you move into Back Halls you get given three keys, one is a fob which buzzes you into the building, one is for the food locker I mentioned earlier and the other is for your room, so it’s completely safe before you ask, no one can get into your room if you don’t want them to.
Anyway once you enter the room you are greeted to the “first room”, as the room has two doors/rooms: the sink area and the main room. The first little room has a sink on one side and a spacious cupboard on the other. I loved this little area as it made getting ready in the morning so easy as you could brush your teeth, wash your face, put makeup on if you wanted and get dressed in one area. The cupboard also had a little built in shelf area which was pretty cool. Anyway onto the rest of my room!

As I said before, the room is very spacious, which the pictures don’t do any justice. There’s a bed, desk, drawers and a huge cupboard that 3 people could fit in it easily without any effort. The room was really easy to decorate as there’s a huge pinboard on the wall which as you can see, I took full advantage of.
One thing I really loved about the room was the view as I had a tree outside my window which birds would sit on which made it feel more like home looking at them. The heating was also a big plus as I was never really cold as the heating was great! The bed was also extremely comfortable, which was a good and bad thing, as when I went home my bed felt rubbish compared to my uni one! 
Finally, Back Halls is in the centre of campus, which is great as it’s close to everything. It’s next door to the SU and laundrette and is a very short walk away from the Hub. But of course, nothing is perfect, everything has its flaws and Back Halls was no different, especially when it came to the noise issues. 

Back Halls has thin walls on times which can be an issue when you’re trying to sleep, and your neighbor isn’t. Additionally due to it’s location the SU music can faintly be heard some nights. However, that can all be forgiven when you consider how cheap it is to rent compared to other student accommodation, which honestly was agodsend.

So overall I love Backs Halls, I may be the only person to ever say that but I do.  And if I had my time again I wouldn’t change it as it was just what I needed in my first year when everything was new and sometimes scary, to have a nice warm, homely place to come back to was everything I needed and more.
I hope you got something from this post, I plan to write a blog post about what it’s like living in a student home in Ormskirk at some point next month, so look out for that!
Until next time!

Film/Show of the day: Sherlock (2010-)

5 Replies to “What it’s Really Like Living in Back Halls”

1. Hi Charley, I’m Anh from Vietnam. I intend to study at Edge Hill Uni next year for my Master degree. I just wanna know more about the student life and teaching quality at Edge Hill uni. Hope that you will help me. I really need your advice.
    Thks so much

1. Hi Anh, is there any aspects of student life you are most interested in? e.g local area, clubs, shops, campus, etc. That way I can make sure to talk about what you’re most interested in 🙂

2. Hi I was wondering if you had an email or telephone number I could speak to you on about Back Halls?

Kindest regards,
    Zara

3. This has brought back so many memories. I lived in EMB in 1994 – 95 and again in 95 to 97. Lancs Hall still stood and it had a lift that was described as ‘bungee jumping without the rope’. Forest Court was newly built and it held no interest to me. Too glitzy then😂. I chose back halls and I met some of the best friends I have ever had in them. They were communal, fun and a major part of what made my time at Edge Hill the best. Thank you for writing this.