A day in the life of a creative writing and English lit student – sort of

Different university courses have different timetables, unlike school the subject you choose can drastically change the amount of contact hours you have. With creative writing and English literature, I tend to have two to three contact hours per module (six modules in total) which is not a lot in comparison to perhaps a nursing student. However, I have a lot of coursework that is required to be completed in my own time. It’s important to know what is expected of you on your chosen course and to make sure you are prepared to put in the necessary hours. To give you a bit of insight I’ve decided to give you a bit of a ‘day in the life’ post to give you an idea of how I spend my time.

Waking up

Like any self-respecting student, I hate leaving the warm cocoon that is my bed, on Mondays and Tuesdays especially (my dreaded 9am days), I have to set a number of alarms to coax myself out. I’m one of those high-maintenance people who need at least two hours to get ready in the morning, half an hour of which is spent waking up. When I do eventually emerge I zoom through breakfast, shower, general hair and facial improvement and leave the house half an hour before my class starts (at least in an ideal world I do).

Classes

After getting to uni – at a leisurely pace, usually accompanied by a podcast or some music – of course I have to go to class. My timetable is as follows:

• Monday – 9 – 11
  • Tuesday – 9 – 1
  • Wednesday – 11 – 1
  • Thursday – free day (yas!)
  • Friday – 2 – 4

It may seem far less packed in comparison than someone at school or on a course that required more contact time but it’s still hard work! After class I tended to meet up with my friends, have lunch and just generally unwind for a couple of hours in The Hub.

Homework & errands

Once I get home it’s time for me to begin to mark stuff off my to-do list. I tend to spend a few hours every day doing the uni work that needs to be done, but on some days I also do house work or nip out to the shops or do other general adulty things like that.

Extra-curricular and social activities

I always make sure I have time to do something socially stimulating – or else I’d go insane! On a Wednesday night I go to dance classes, I find that’s a great way for me to relax and forget about work for an hour or so. I also enjoy meeting up with friends in town or just dropping by each other’s houses for a cuppa. It’s important to spend some time being social because if you get so absorbed in work that you don’t leave the house you will soon burn out and that’s not good!

Bedtime and chill

The last thing I do in a day is have a bit of chill time before I go to bed. I try to make a habit of winding down with a film or a book or else I tend to struggle getting to sleep.

Until next time! 🙂