Start your year off with a bang!

Now I’ve never been one for New Year resolutions, (too cynical and busy for that), but everything has to start somewhere, and this will be the year of positivity and productivity!
In this blog post I’m going to share with you some realistic and easy changes you can adopt if you want to, that will hopefully benefit your student life.

Organisation. Something we all strive for, but not many achieve. However, with these top tips I’ve gathered, they shall hopefully bring you one step closer.
Okay, so first you’ll want to set goals, whether that’s a long-term goal such as saving up for a holiday, completing a vital essay, or shorter term goals such as getting the food shopping for the week. These goals will help keep you on track and give you something to look forward to! Which will, in the long term, help keep you motivated. My suggestion of how to do this is just to get a piece of paper, write down your goals, stick it above your desk, and then every time you complete something, cross it off. It’s as simple as that.  

Secondly, you might want to consider planning your study time. As it’ll give you a chance to work around your schedule, allowing you to plan work and social events around your studying time so you won’t get behind but at the same time, you’ll still have time to live university life to the full. For more information on how to study please feel free to check out a recent post I did.

“A place for everything and everything in its place.”

As they say ‘clean space, clean mind’, so avoid clutter by creating a place for all your items, it will be much simpler to clean up and put everything back in a short amount of time effectively. Making cleaning a less daunting and time-consuming task overall.    

Now we can move onto the next point which is to plan meals. As tedious as it sounds planning your meals will help you in the long run as it will save time and money (which will come in handy later on in this post). As you will only need to buy food which will help create the meals you’ve planned, as well as peace of mind that, when you come home from a long day of lectures, there will be a proper meal waiting for you at home.

Hopefully better than this one

LISTS. Yes to top this whole organisation section off I’d like to highlight the importance of them. Now I’m not saying make a list of every aspect of your life, however, anything you feel you’d actually benefit having a list for, start writing as lists. They only really work if you actually need them. No point having a list for your favourite pot noodles, but not one for what essays you’ve got to do!

Now that the organisation side of this is done we can move onto something a little more exciting which is joining or starting a society. Joining a society will help you socialise and meet like-minded people, as it never hurts to have a few extra friends to share the New Year with.

Also depending on what society you choose, you could find yourself learning something new, gaining experience for your cv, or even traveling! For more information on societies, stay tuned as on the 17th I’ll be posting a post dedicated to societies, as Refreshers’ Fair is around the corner!  

Save money. This will help you a lot in the New Year and perhaps beyond if you get a good grasp of saving money now. Saving money doesn’t mean you have to miss out on things such as social events or new clothing, it just means you have to start prioritising your money and start saving as soon as you can. A good place to start is knowing your goal. As stated above in the post it’s a good idea to have something to work for, for example, a holiday.

Shop Comparison

After that you’ve just gotta budget, which doesn’t include things like new DVDs or games, but instead important essentials such as rent and food money (isn’t being grown up fun). I personally enjoy being independent and have always had a very small budget, so this is second nature to me, but if you’re not versed in saving money, you just need to remember this simple tip: Not everything is an essential. You can live off less than you think, and then treat yourself later. For example, if you shop at Aldi instead of Sainsbury’s you’ve already saved yourself some money for the New Year!

Something that in recent years I’ve strived to do each year, and would help you out as well, is to add to your CV. Your CV is very important as in most cases it is basically what stands between you and your dream job, so don’t wait until after university, start working on it now! This is one of the best pieces of advice I can ever give you. There are many different ways to add to your CV, such as: getting a paid job (doesn’t have to relate to your dream job), volunteer (animal shelter, retirement home, etc), unpaid work experience (small production companies) and learning a new skill that will work towards your dream job but also keep you interested.

And finally look back on what you’ve done, feel proud of everything you’ve achieved last year, and what you’re going to do this year! Give yourself a pat on the back, you deserve it!
I hope you have an amazing New Year and hopefully learnt something from this post. I’ve started to plan out what I’m going to be writing this year, and I must admit that I’m quite excited to continue writing and sharing my experience at Edge Hill with you!
Until next time!

Film/Show of the day: Hot Fuzz (2007)

Save

Save