My favourite 6 places on campus

Seeing as it’s the middle of the holidays and we’re relaxing (or trying to), I thought I’d pick a rather light-hearted topic for today’s blog post. Here is an (incomplete) list of my favourite places on campus! Given that I love the Edge Hill campus so much, it was incredibly difficult to narrow these down, but I tried my best!

6: Creative Edge – Whilst this building is one of my favourites on campus, I’ve put it at the bottom of my list, simply because I don’t get to spend nearly enough time in there! I’ve had a few Languages seminars in here, and have been lucky enough to show people around during Open and Applicant visit days. Creative Edge is home to Vibe Media, as well as some of the most fascinating equipment on campus. I rather like that there’s an ‘On Air’ light outside the studios!

Inside Creative Edge

5: The Sports Centre Rooftop – I’ll be the first to admit that the Sports Centre isn’t one of the places I frequent most on campus, but I do like the rooftop! I know other people might say that they prefer the roof on either Creative Edge or the Business building, but this is my personal favourite of the three. It’s a fairly quiet part of campus, tucked away from the hustle and bustle of student life. The rooftop leads onto the trails, which absolutely anyone can use for free. On a sunny – or even a not so sunny! – day, it’s quite nice to get some fresh air over there.

4: The Sunken Garden – Like Creative Edge, if I got to spend more time here, it would definitely be higher on my list! The Sunken Garden, or rather, the outdoor amphitheatre, is used for performances by dance and drama students. It’s another one of those quiet, peaceful places on campus that is tucked away.

The Education Building, overlooking the lake

3: The Education Building – With the rooms set up like primary classrooms, our very own Water’s Edge café and some really cool artwork, there isn’t a single part of the Faculty of Education that I don’t like. Except maybe that second set of stairs – and even they’re not that bad! Being in classrooms with work on the wall reminds me why I’m doing the degree I am, and really helps set the tone for the lesson that I’m in. During last spring and summer, I liked studying outside Water’s Edge when it was sunny.

2: The Hub – My favourite social space on campus has everything that I, as a student, need: Starbucks, a shop, a café… and free printing upstairs! I spent a lot of time in halls last year and didn’t really see much of the Hub, but I hugely recommend spending some time in there. Like the name suggests, it’s the hub of activity on campus. Last year, there was a wellbeing day where we had a petting zoo just outside, and we have different market stalls here throughout the week. My favourite is the pancake stall…

Central Campus: The Hub

And finally… drumroll please…

1: The library – Specifically, I like being in an individual study room on the top floor, closest to the education books so I can pop in and out if I need to. I’m the kind of person that can’t stand talking when I’m working. Each floor in the library has varying degree of noise, going from loud to silent as you go up the stairs. On the top floor, there is a section for people to work in silence, which is where I spend a lot of my time. However, if it’s late and I’m just trying to finish an assignment, there’s nothing better than booking a study room, so I can sit with the fan on, my headphones in, and just get down to work.

I’m sure you’ll find some of your own favourite places to study and socialise on campus when you get here; it’s a big place, and there’s plenty of hidden gems to be found!