Teacher Training: The Interview Process

Happy holidays! So, I promised a blog on the interview process for teacher training – and voila!

Just a reminder, if you want information on auditions, check out Ellie’s post: here.

Edge Hill was my second interview of the lot, which was completely nerve-wracking, as it was my first choice of university! Surprisingly, it was the interview that I was least nervous about when I arrived on the day! I was put right at ease straight away with friendly chatter from the lady interviewing me; the whole thing was really more of a conversation than an interview!

Let’s start from the beginning. I arrived on the day, wearing a dress and posh shoes, feeling all fancy, armed with various certificates and references from head teachers I had volunteered with. I waved goodbye to my parents, and was brought into a massive lecture theatre in the Health and Social Building (below).

Fun fact: This is also the place you will graduate!

We ran through the day’s events: an optional campus tour, the skills tests and then finally, the interview. If you already know about the professional skills tests, you might be a little bit confused as to why we were doing some more! We were told that the tests weren’t a pass/fail, but rather to influence our targets for the upcoming September. A lot of what we do on the course is about setting ourselves targets, reviewing them, and making new targets, so in hindsight this makes a lot of sense! So these tests are separate to the general skills tests you’re required to take to become a teacher – sorry! If you are worried about those tests, there are practice papers online, which I found really useful.

By the time I had arrived at Edge Hill, I had passed my skills tests, so I wasn’t too concerned with how they were going to go. My big worry was the presentation I had to give, using a stimulus, about a lesson or activity I would teach. People came in with all different kinds of things – shapes, books, puppets! I chose The Tiger Who Came To Tea by Judith Kerr, and spoke about how I would teach a lesson on healthy eating. I also talked a little about differentiation, which basically means the ways in which I would include all learners, no matter their ability. I presented this in front of another applicant, a lady in the Education team and a local headteacher.

Written and illustrated by Judith Kerr; this was my stimulus for my 5 minute presentation

Then, when that was done and they had finished asking questions, I was whisked away for the ‘real’ interview, which was more of a conversation than anything else, about the experience I had and what I had learned from it. Edge Hill are really great, and within two weeks, they had emailed me feedback about how I had performed both in my interview and in the tests they had given, which then helped me set my targets for September.

For me, the most important thing for my interview was having done work experience. This is important for your personal statement, but it was during the interview that I was really able to show what I had learned from those experiences.

My advice: Be yourself!