What’s the Big Deal about Open Days?

Hey everyone!

Hope you’re all having a good week.

I am writing to you from behind a wall of books that I need to read so today’s post will probably be a short one, but I hope that it helps nonetheless!

If you’re applying to uni (or even if you’ve already sent off your application) then you’ve probably heard a lot of people talking about Open Days.

Your tutors have probably recommended that you attend as many as possible, you might have friends who have told you about an Open Day they went too, you may even be waiting to attend one yourself.

Either way a question a lot of people have is ‘what’s the point in an Open Day?’

It’s a valid question, and one that I had when I was applying to university. So today I’m going to give you a few tips on what I have learnt over the past couple of years, and hopefully impart some wisdom to you about what you can get from an Open Day.

Why should I go to an Open Day?
Applying to uni can be a lot of pressure. You’ve probably hunted through a stack of prospectuses trying to find the right uni for you. Even if you’ve narrowed it down to a few choices I would highly suggest visiting each uni! A prospectus gives a good overview of a university and its courses but nothing is better than visiting the uni and talking to students and tutors of your course. If you have any questions this is the quickest way to find the answer, and sometimes just getting the feel of the uni will help you decide if it’s the place for you or not.

What if I can’t go to an Open Day?
Sometimes it just isn’t possible to get to an Open Day, whether that’s because of college, work or distance. If you can’t get to an Open Day I would suggest getting in touch with the university to talk about the course you want to study, you can find information about how to contact Edge Hill here. They will answer any course specific enquiries or general enquiries about student life and the facilities at Edge Hill. Check out Edge Hill University’s Facebook as well as they upload photos and videos of the campus – the next best thing if you are unable to visit yourself.

I hope you all go to a few Open Days this year, even if you have already sent off your UCAS application. As soon as I attended the Edge Hill Open Day I knew this was the place where I wanted to study for the next three years, and I am loving every second!

Quote for the day: “It’s not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.” – Roy Disney

Have another amazing week!

Until next time.

-Becki 🙂