If you know someone who has been, or is at university, then you may have heard them talking about lectures and seminars. If these mean nothing to you don’t worry – I had no idea what I was letting myself in for when I was going to a seminar at 2pm on a Tuesday afternoon.

Most degrees are structured the same but obviously the content changes according to the subject of the degree. It would be very strange to be sat in an English lecture learning about the mathematical equations of Pi.

Usually a lecture is an hour long but sometimes, especially in practical based sessions, they can last a few hours and will consist of a tutor speaking to you for an hour and then practical exploration whereby you are able to explore the topic discussed in a practical way. This is also known as a workshop. In subjects where practical work is not necessary you will usually be put into smaller groups to be able to discuss the content of the lecture further.

Following a lecture there will be a seminar which is usually two hours long and allows for further discussion about the topic that was discussed in the lecture. It is an opportunity for you to ask any questions and learn more about what was spoken about during a lecture. It’s a smaller group and there is more time to discuss personal ideas.

This will usually happen for every module and even though I was confused at first I can now see how useful this structure is.

If you have any questions please don’t be afraid to ask. Being in third year means I am quite experienced with all of this.