So one thing I’m not very good at is saying no to people. I hate letting people down and like to help out as much as possible. However, this can often get hard when I’ve signed up to everything and find myself trying to juggle a million things at once!

I love getting involved with things but sometimes it can be very stressful. I would suggest making sure that you don’t take too much on as it means that you stop enjoying the things you are doing because you become too busy! However if you are similar to me make sure that you manage your time with what you are doing. I’m really lucky to have so many people around me that support and help me with everything I want to do but it’s also good to take the advice that people may give you as often they can see the negative impact that it may have.

During your first year you have the time to join all the societies but as your work gets harder so does the amount of time you have. I’m not suggesting that you don’t do the activities and clubs you want to do but just make sure that you are able to take it on. Also it is important not to worry if you have to drop out of something. Running a society myself I know how fustrating it can be when someone drops out especially if you are trying to put on a performance. However I have always said to the members that they must put themselves first and make sure that if it is something they can’t do to let people know. Everyone is only human at the end of the day!

Make sure you put your degree first but make the most of all the opportunities you can without running yourself too thinly.