Mom Can’t Help You Now!

Going to UNI for most people means moving away from home for the first time, and most people are aware that you will need to fend for yourself a lot more than usual – cooking, cleaning, doing the food shop, and making sure you have everything you need for all the various aspects of grown-up life.

The one thing a lot of people don’t think about, myself included, is registering at the doctor and dentist. I think it is fair to assume that most people go their entire teenage years without making their own appointments with the doctor or the dentist, and this can make it slip your mind. But signing up with a dentist and a doctors’ surgery local to the UNI is a good idea because some things won’t just wait until you go home at Christmas and can go to your family doctor.

There are a few doctor’s surgeries in Ormskirk that you can sign up with and a full list can be found on the Edge Hill website under the Health and Wellbeing section:

On there you can also find information about dentists, and it helpfully points out that it is free to anyone who is under 19 and in full-time education, i.e. First Years.

When it comes to other aspects of health, there is help on campus with a dedicated Health and Wellbeing Centre that offers counselling and advice on other aspects of health that do not require immediate medical attention such as sexual health etc.

You have to make sure you look after yourself at UNI, and registering at a local doctor’s surgery is a good step, especially if you get a bad bout of ‘Fresher’s Flu’ which can be pretty brutal.

This week’s song is classic Coldplay, it’s called Yellow and I recently rediscovered what a tune it is.

Until Next Time 🙂

Leave a Reply