Employment In A Tough World

Over summer before university starts and your A-levels have finished, you might be struggling to find things to do. As nice as it might be to enjoy the sun, go to festivals and party the summer days away, sometimes you need to think of the future and how you can help yourself in the long run.

When you finish your exams, I’d strongly recommend taking a couple of weeks to yourself to finally have a break – it’s been a long and stressful time with exams, coursework and assignments so you don’t want to burn out. I know that all too well, as I never seem to stop and actually have a break! Go out with friends, go for a pint, travel out somewhere for a day and just have some fun doing what you want!

However after you’ve taken some time to yourself, think about where you want to be in 3/5/10 years time. Do you have plans for the future, or are you going with the flow? A lot of my friends go to university as it’s a three year block that can be filled before making the next decision, but I have planned the future to know that I want to be teaching after university in a secondary school. Obviously you don’t need to have all plans set in stone, but it’s a nice idea to know what you want to achieve and where you want to be.

Once you’ve decided where you’d like to end up, think about what you could do to help yourself. If you’ve not done any work experience in an area you’d like, see if you can find somewhere and just volunteer for a couple of weeks or even a day would be useful. It would be even better if you could get a temporary job in your chosen area as that would be something really good to put on your CV and talk about in job interviews.

If you’re not sure where you’d like to go, why not try experimenting? Go to some places and volunteer, then if you don’t like it you’ll know in the future not to try again, but you never know – you might actually enjoy it!